Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only Wired Internet Working?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 athenat

athenat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

Hello everyone, 

I've recently been having a problem with my wi-fi.

No devices can use the wi-fi network, even though they are connected and the three lines are shown. When I try to connect to the internet on my laptop, I get the error message 'dns_probe_finished_bad_config' on Chrome.

Despite this, the internet on my desktop (wired) is working normally.

My router is an Aztech HW550-3G. I have tried rebooting it, as well as turning it off and on again, but neither of these has helped. I've also checked that wireless is enabled in it's settings. I also called the service provider, but they said everything was fine from their side and they just told me to off and on it again. 

Please help! I've tried looking online but nothing I've found has helped so far. 

Thank you. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

See if changing your DNS servers to Google helps. See this guide. If you currently have DNS servers showing in settings mark them down so you can revert if needed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 August 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

Same router which means both wired and wifi are using the same dns settings.  if one works and the other doesn't its not a dns issue.  That is a misleading windows message when Microsoft doesn't have anything intelligent to say.

Things to look at:

1. post the results of a ipconfig /all from both the wired pc and the wireless laptop for comparison

2. do a nslookup yahoo.com on each via a command prompt and post those results for review.

3. download and run xirrus wifi inspector and post a screen shot of what it sees for wifi networks/channels in your area

#4 athenat

athenat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

Hi, and thanks for the quick response! :)

JohnC_21: I changed the DNS servers on my router, and it worked! Thanks!

Wand3r3r: Thanks as well for your help, it may come be useful some other time. 

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

That's great.  Though I suspect the dns change wasn't what fixed it.  It was a reboot of the router.  Problem comes back you know where to turn to.  Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users