Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Tried The Ms Office 2006

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

i've used office95, 97, 2000 and now am on office xp.
Was just wondering if anyone has tried the office 2006 free download yet?
i understand it's free to try until about march next year..... but is it worth trying? that's what i really want to know.

BBPP6nz.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

I know this isn't your answer but Ever since I've installed Open Office,free,Ive never gone back to Office. It does the same things and I actually prefer the writer more.
Just a recommendation if you haven't tried Open.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:55 AM

Thx boopme
I have heard a lot of good reports about 'Open Office' but have to admit i've never tried it.

BBPP6nz.png

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

I switched to OO.o about two years ago. The newest release (2. something) is much more compatible with MS Office files than earlier versions, and you can save to a PDF file with a single click. The only conversion problems are those with difficult macros and extremely complex formatting on some spreadsheets. I found changing from MS to OO.o not at all that difficult.
Unless you are using Office to collaborate with associates at work, OO.o will fit any needs, and avoids all the pitfalls of needing constant security patches unlike MS Office.
OO.o not only has a spreadsheet, presentation, and word processor module, it also has a database (like Access) and a Visio-like module. All, of course, for free.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:24 PM

So, does that mean that my 'word' and 'excel' documents plus the databases i have in 'access' .... will all open in 'Open Office' ??

BBPP6nz.png

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:41 PM

Yes it means that, and it means that you can work in OO.o and save as a MS Office document. I have not actually worked very much in the db application to be positive it translates/opens Access files with ease, but certainly I have had almost no problems with Word documents and only a few with spreadsheet macros (but then I tend to keep spreadsheets relatively simple).
You can certainly download OO.o V2 and validate whether it will translate/open/save in the format you want.
Cheers,
John

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

thx John
i'll definatley look into that then,
thx for your advice :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:56 PM

As a PS to the above, MS will make available third party applications for 2007 that will translate its proprietary file structure to the open document standard! It appears that MS is attempting to make itself relevant to the trend towards non-proprietary file structures. But only half-heartedly, since they refuse to build the translators into Office itself.

Microsoft is extending an olive branch to the open-source community with the launch of an initiative to provide interoperability between the company's Office Open XML file format and the rival Open Document Format (ODF).

The Open XML Translator project, which involves a group of third-party partners, will make available free software tools for older versions of Microsoft Office so that documents produced by the Office applications can be easily converted to ODF files.

http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml?story_id=01200172O5GO

See also:

http://www.gcn.com/blogs/tech/41294.html

Cheers,
John

#9 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:01 AM

Following the recommendations of jgweed and boopme
i've installed 'Open Office' onto one of my computers, the installation was really easy and during the installation it asked me if i wanted to open existing word and excel documents in 'Open' Office' from now on...so that was an easy change over.
I'll try it for a couple of weeks and if all goes well, i'll install it onto my other computer as well.
Thx for the recommendation guys. :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:14 PM

I think you will like OO.o (despite its funny name) and you can always save whatever you are working on as an Office document. The OO.o site itself provides some documentation and links to user community forums if you need help.
If you use PDFs a lot, at least OO.o provides support for the format; MS is currently "at war" with Adobe and may not provide support for its files.
More and more I see growing support for an international standard Open Document, especially from governmental agencies around the world.
Regards,
John

#11 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

I like what i see so far, the only thing i was missing was 'outlook'.... so i've downloaded 'Thunderbird' to take care of that.
Even after a day.... i'm beginning to think.......... Yes this will work for me!! :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

Certainly the price is right, and you will not have to worry as much about installing all those monthly MS Office security patches. I am curious about your opinions and insights into the db module; after you have played with it for a couple of weeks, could you post your thoughts? And, of course, any insights about OO.o/Office.
Regards,
John

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:38 AM

I like what i see so far, the only thing i was missing was 'outlook'

Am I reading this right? There is a FREE (for now) office suite that DOESN'T have Outlook? This sound too good to be true. I'd LOVE to get Outlook off my computer.

Do you know if the Word part opens and converts WordPerfect files as well? I use WP about as much as I use Word, but I have to convert my WP files at times in order for other folks who don't have WP to read them. Which leads me to the next question: Is MSWord able to open documents saved as OO.0?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:20 AM

From the OO.o FAQ:

<blockquote>Does OpenOffice support WordPerfect file formats ?

Not yet. StarOffice on Windows does but the filters they use are proprietary from a 3rd party and therefore not available to the open source community.

But there is a WordPerfect filter project which has a preliminary version available. </blockquote>

http://user-faq.openoffice.org/faq/ar01s05.html#id2811699

Right now, MSO will not open files saved in the Open Format, you must save the OO.o file AS a MS file, although OO.o will open any MSO file type. However, Microsoft is working with third parties to provide Office/ Open format conversions, at least for Office 7.
You can also save any OO.o document as a PDF file, which everyone should be able to open.
Since OO.o is an open source project, the licenses under which it is developed and distributed does not allow its free use to be changed.

Hope this helps,
John

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the reply and the link. Yes, it does help. :thumbsup:

Right now, MSO will not open files saved in the Open Format, you must save the OO.o file AS a MS file, although OO.o will open any MSO file type.

Hmm. Is it necessary to have MS on the system in order to save it AS an MS file?

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users