Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing OWA Internal/External URL

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

Good Morning -

I'm sure this is something relatively simple, or that I'm missing something basic.  But searching the web and various forms hasn't yielded me any progress.

I'm creating a new mails server (E2010SP1) to replace a server we are planning to decommission.  I've installed Exchange Management Console with all roles onto our new mail server, and have verified mail flow through a test account.  What I'm *trying* to do now is to change the URL for internal OWA access. Short version of the story, our internal domain is unique from our external exchange domain.  I'm trying to keep changes to a minimum so our users don't freak out once we roll over to the new server.

Now when I go into Server Configuration > Client Access, I changed the domain in Outlook Web App, Exchange Control Panel, and Exchange Active Sync.  I then reset iis.  But when I attempt to browse out using the new URL, I get a page cannot be displayed.  When I browse out using the old URL, the site is still showing up. 

Again, I'm sure this is pretty basic, so I apologize for the inconvenience.  But any help or insight would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

That should work hey, have you configured the bindings on the default site/ ecp etc etc?

Are you using iisreset /restart as the command?

Also did you create a new DNS pointer to point to the IP of the exchange server.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 24 August 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

You are incorrect that this is basic.  It's not.  There are a number of approaches from split brain dns to simply listing both domains in AD and exchange.  Might want to google merging internal and external email into one server.

#4 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:59 AM

We were able to get it so that the URL follows the appropriate domain path.  But we've run into a couple of new, very confusing issues. 

Our existing Exchange Server is called "exchange" and is 2007.  Our new Mail Server is called "mail" and is running 2010.  I have not set exchange up as a legacy server because we should be able to get all our mailboxes moved over to the new server this weekend. 

After I loaded a new .cer, suddenly, a few (not all, but a few) of our users who also have their emails on their home computers are getting an error which reads: "There is a problem with the proxy server's security certificate.  The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the target site mail.(companyname).org.  The problem is that they should still be connecting to exchange.(companyname).org -- not mail.  As a result, they are unable to access email from home or mobile.  I have disabled Outlook Anywhere on the new mail server, hoping that this is the cause, and am waiting to see if this helps.  But obviously we want this migration to be seamless (or as close to seamless) as possible for our users.  So unexpected issues like this are obviously an issue.  

When I open http://mail.(companyname).org/owa and sign in using my main account that currently sits on the exchange server, it pulls up, and going to properties shows that the mailbox server name is exchange.  When I go to http://mail.(companyname).org/owa and try to sign in with a test account which I created on the new mail server, it takes me to a screen asking me to use https:// for optimal performance.  I try to sign in again using the https:// URL and it cycles me back to this screen.  Before I inserted the certificate, it would allow my test account access to the OWA. 

Also, when we go to the OWA at http://mail.(companyname).org/owa, despite the fact that it is running Exchange 2010, the web access shows a 2007 logon screen. 

Very lost and confused right now, so any help would be appreciated. 

-Rob

#5 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

Addendum:

I figured out why OWA Access at mail.(companyname).org/owa was coming up as 2007.  Someone in our organization -- (not a member of the IT Department... our hierarchy is rather... complicated) -- went to our DNS provider and added a host record for the new mail server.  He was trying to be proactive and helpful, and he wasn't aware of where we were at in the migration process. 

SMH. 

I've discovered that the new mail server OWA still pulls up only on the abbreviated domain (com).org/owa, despite the fact that Client Access URLs have been adjusted to use the companyname.org/owa URL.  This, in combination with the premature creation of the host record, I believe was causing clients to redirect to exchange believing it to be mail, which is why certificate errors were popping up. 

So when I typed https://mail.companyname.org/owa it was taking me to exchange.companyname.org/owa, which is why my test account wasn't working at all, and that accounts on the exchange server could access it. 

So I still need to:

1) Change OWA URL to go to https://mail.companyname.org/owa instead of https://mail.com.org/owa (haven't created external DNS host record yet; this isn't even working internally, and several of our drivers and warehouse users use OWA to access their email)

But changing the settings under Server Configuration > Client Access, hasn't worked, even when I run iis reset or iis restart.  Wand3r3r, I'd prefer to make this change in exchange rather than make things too complicated, if possible.  Do any of you have any insight or recommendations?

Edited by Coolhead2001, 26 August 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#6 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

Please disregard.  Coffee finally caught up with the rest of me and I realized where I'd gone wrong in my thinking.  As we don't have an internet DNS record for that server, nor a public ip address for it, obviously trying to browse to it -- beyond using the FQDN -- won't work until we have that record set up.  So it doesn't matter what the hell I call the URLs in EMC.  Until we have a record set up for it so that browsers know where to go, nothing is going to happen.  We'll continue to work on this and will hopefully be able to decommission our old mail server soon.  Thanks both of you for your help.

#7 Coolhead2001

Coolhead2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

Update:

We are going to set up the new mail server on its own public IP, and hopefully transfer mailboxes over the weekend.  Once that's done and we know everything is working, we will shut down the old mail server.  Here's my next question.  Would it be possible to set up an MX record for the mail server, while keeping the MX record for exchange intact?  That way, email flow should still go to exchange.  If an email comes in and the mailbox is on the mail server, will routing realize that and send it using the MX record for mail?  I'm rather fuzzy on how that works. 

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

mx record is per domain not server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users