Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open rtf attachment in Outlook

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HugoEdKN7

HugoEdKN7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:34 AM

I have a user that has winXP and Outlook 2007.  He receives reports from outside salespeople in rtf file format.  Up until last week he could open the rtf attachment in Outlook.  Now it is giving him an error msg to the effect ".... check your rights in the folder you are trying to open the file in".  He has local admin rights.  I have tried to open with notepad, WORD - will not open and even if you try and save it  - it gives the same error msg: "Unable to open file: right click on the folder you are trying to open the file in and verify your rights".  The "sender" of the email is using a Crystal template and then the pgm they use puts it in rtf format and then they email it.    Any ideas, I have tried a bunch of diff ways.  Says nothing has been added to his computer.

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2015 - 11:53 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:23 AM

After saving the attachment right click it and look under the Security tab if Windows XP Pro. Simple file sharing has to be disabled. For home you can access the security tab using the Administrator Account found when booting into safe mode. See if the user has full control under permissions.

When an attachment is opened Outlook places it into a temporary folder. I am not sure why you get that error upon opening but see this page. Maybe check the permissions of the temporary folder or the Temporary Internet Files folder?

It the user sends a rtf attachement to himself from some other email account do they get the same error?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users