Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Torrent Trackers Block Windows 10 Users Over Spying Fears

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:30 AM

Windows 10 is now off bounds for torrent trackers. The torrent trackers  have banned Windows 10 due to “privacy concerns” according to the torrent tracking website Torrent Freak.

Microsoft’s latest operating system iteration is under fire from all quarters due to its snooping capabilities. Further reports suggest that Microsoft can wipe torrents and pirated software from people’s hard drives with a sort of piracy kill switch.

For the uninitiated, torrent tracker is a server that communicates between peers using the BitTorrent protocol. Torrents are typically used to share files and the torrent tracker server keeps track of where these shared files reside on peer machines, which ones are available at time of request, and helps coordinate the sharing of that file.

The controversy regarding Windows 10 and privacy originates from Microsoft’s Services Agreement and EULA. Torrent websites seems to be most troubled by Microsoft’s updated End Users License Agreement (EULA), which states:

http://www.techworm.net/2015/08/torrent-trackers-block-windows-10-users-over-spying-fears.html

“Many of you might have heard or read about the terrible privacy policy of windows 10 recently. Unfortunately Microsoft decided to revoke any kind of data protection and submit whatever they can gather to not only themselves but also others. One of those is one of the largest anti-piracy company called MarkMonitor. Amongst other things windows 10 sends the contents of your local disks directly to one of their servers. Obviously this goes way too far and is a serious threat to sites like ours which is why we had to take measures,” iTS argues.

Now that's funny. :lmao:

Edited by NickAu, 24 August 2015 - 06:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

There's no words to describe how I feel towards this right now.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

:hysterical: :bubbles:

:smash: :killcomp:

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

Oh that's rich... unintended irony of the year?

#5 DagonCrows

DagonCrows

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

On another note, they just made the Windows 10 OS a brilliant and easy way to limit torrenting on office/school computers. 

Edited by DagonCrows, 24 August 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#6 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

Other articles on the same topic, just now in PC World, and ArsTechnica, which counter some of the claims.  The latter is a must read for pro-Win10 folk.  Will make them smile.

Pirating from pirates is still pirating, and the pirating isn't only from pirates, is it. YOUR data is pirated, too.  Even though you did nothing, and there was no justification for taking all your data, too.  Of course, is there any proof yet this has actually occurred?  If so, the one from whom MSFT pirated can go to the police and sue, for the EULA doesn't bind in criminal cases.  What MSFT did, if it did, would be classified as theft and therefore adjudicated under criminal law.

Yeah, law of unintended consequences, that EULA will come back on MSFT's head.  For if it did take the data, it's a CRIME punishable under due process, within the jurisdiction (the victim's) where it occurred.

And if you say, 'well, the victim was a Win10 user and agreed to the EULA', the reply is easily -- and WHO ELSE'S DATA was on that machine?  They were not agreeing to the EULA, so they are victims with legal standing.

Example:  ABC Gaming company is not associated with Microsoft.  Joe Blow had ABC's games on his machine, and MSFT borked them.  So now ABC Gaming is an aggrieved party who did not sign onto Win10.  So if Torrents, multiply this by millions, and you begin to see the scope.

MSFT is digging its own grave.  Again.  For enfin, it doesn't matter if it's not guilty in practice.  IT ARROGATES THE RIGHT TO STEAL in the EULA (full legal official text links from MSFT itself, are highlighted here).

Edited by brainout, 24 August 2015 - 01:24 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,601 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Does that mean a Windows 10 computer cannot use torrent to download a linux distro?  :hysterical:

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

I guess the websites involved in that practice are private tracker websites, those who are invite only and such :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:38 PM

This just in from ZDnet, another article on the topic.  Since ZDnet is a known toady for MSFT, some might be more interested in the ZDnet article, than the others posted.

And this just in by commenters to the ZDnet article, IF YOU ARE A PHYSICIAN OR HOSPITAL WORKER YOU MUST READ THIS, IT RELATES TO HIPAA.. click here.  It's only a blog, but it reflects a concern which I'm sure will have to eventually receive a pronouncement.  Meanwhile, it's not good to use Windows 10 on any machine, lest any patient whose data is compromised, can accuse you.  It's not about proving innocence.  It's about the high malpractice premiums coming from merely being accused.

Law of unintended consequences which the MS fanboys apparently don't WANT to grasp, so would have you infect your machine with Windows 10.  Yes, infect.  But they don't care, they drank the koolaid and proselytize anyone else to do the same, until we are all infected.  This is the biggest potential computer disaster of the 21st century, and they are incapable of even understanding it.

Edited by brainout, 24 August 2015 - 06:04 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

Mind boggling. Thanks to all of you Windows 10 news reporters.   :thumbup2:

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,388 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:18 AM

Linux is probably looking better and better for those who sail the seven digital seas in search of digital booty, yarrr.

Though i do hope linux wont be associated with pirates, we already got enemies in the NSA to deal with.

besides its cooler be called a hacker, Mozart's ghost people!

Edited by MadmanRB, 25 August 2015 - 01:19 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

I did read this, however like I said, you cannot assume nor prove that one single update (KB) will send every bit of data you have back to Microsoft.

unite_blue.png

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:05 AM

oh well......i guess that despite all the pages and pages of articles written/typed by far more learned people than myself and possibly more learned than the best that BC has to offer......plus the lord knows how many companies , corporations, web sites etc etc warning of the 'change' that has entered the windows playing field in the form of privacy statement,  eula, and so on and so forth and so fifth......we will just have to be content with knowing that none of this can be proved and we must not dare to assume anything based on years and years of business experience and indeed on years and years of Life experience itself.

Yeah right.

I, for one, choose not to be an  2yn2ek2.jpg

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,388 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:09 AM

Me I still remain on the fence undecided as for the most part I still like Windows 10 however I still have Linux on the side in case anything goes completely cuckoo

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#15 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:17 AM