Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can viruses cause this? What's wrong?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Papatuzz

Papatuzz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:18 AM

I'm at my wits end with this laptop. It belongs to one of my customers. They have next to no money so I charge them next to nothing and sometimes no charge at all. I'll get to it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The laptop is a Gateway MX8711. 17" monitor, 2 gigs ram (That's the max) Windows Vista 32 bit. When she gave it to me it was very unresponsive. I figured viruses so I ran Malwarebytes-AntiMalware. It found and removed several hundred PUP's and some Trojans. It still ran slower than usual so I ran a full scan with Avast. It found more PUP's and sveral more Trojans. One of them was MBR Cidox-C. I had clicked on 'clean' before I saw that one and because of that, the MBR was wasted and forced a reinstall of Windows. I don't know what other more nasty viruses were on the laptop.

They never had recovery disks but the Windows sticker is legible enough to use for activation. I made them a Vista 32 bit install disk and one more disk for one driver that doesn't get installed. It's for the card reader. I reinstalled Windows, activated it and then installed Avast. Next step was to install all the Windows Updates. Due to what happened, I also tried not installing Avast, but that didn't work either. When I try to get the Windows Updates it just keeps saying 'Checking for Updates'. I let it run for over an hour and it never changed. I must have reinstalled Windows 4 or 5 times and it just keeps checking to no end. I tried "Get updates for other Microsoft products" and it fails also. When I installed Avast, it got to the very end and then hung. I was finally able to get it installed, but the Web Shield is turned off. If I turn it on, it shuts right back off.

With Windows hanging on 'Checking' and Avast's Web Shield refusing to stay on, I again thought...viruses. But it was a fresh install so that shouldn't happen. I ran scans anyway and they came back clean. I also ran TDSS Killer, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and Combofix. They all turned up nothing. So why can't I update Windows and turn on Avast Web Shield?

I've made sure the Services and the dependecies were running but that didn't make a difference. Here are pages whose fixes I've tried to no avail:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/windows-update-hangs-when-searching-for-current/f680b16d-1dee-4054-8d44-a05ace0c0fff?auth=1

Tried all of those and nothing helped.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/192910-windows-update-keeps-checking-updates-forever.html

No help.

I won't put them all up because you get the drift. I tried the Windows Update Readiness Tool etc. I even burned a new Vista install disk just in case that was the problem but the outcome was the same. If not for Avast having problems I'd figure it's strictly a Windows peoblem, but with Avast screwing up, I'm wondering if the problem is deeper. I installed a brand new hard drive that I had and that didn't help either so I know it's not the hard drive. This is why I'm at my wits end. I can't for the life of me think what could be wrong. Is it possible the BIOS is infected? Can that even happen? I know the BIOS can become corrupted but I've never run into that problem so I wouldn't know the symptoms. The laptop has the latest BIOS but if that's the problem it can always be reinstalled, however; I can't find instructions on installing this particular BIOS and we all know that a bad BIOS install can more or less brick the laptop.

Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2015 - 10:13 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

Hello,

Please read this topic about Combofix: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

You can get an expert opinion by asking for help in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum. You will need to follow instructions in the Preparation Guide.

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

Start with Step 6.

Informe me if you need any help with that.

Edited by severac, 24 August 2015 - 12:05 PM.

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users