Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair/Recovery of Corrupted DBX files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 georrglilvirt

georrglilvirt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:51 AM

Hello,

I have recently lost a number of local folders in my Outlook Express (OE) which I found in the DBX store. However OE does not read/open them most probably because they are corrupted. This is apparently a common problem.

I searched and found a few tools which claim to repair/recover corrupted DBX and I tried three demo versions. None of them was able to repair the corrupted DBX files. One of the tools was honest enough to admit that some files can be beyond repair and it provided a complete disk scan which recovered a number of lost/deleted messages, some of which were originally in the OE local folders i had lost. Although no fix so far, no cost in using the demo versions.

A number of experts suggest a tool called DBXPRESS which claims to recover corrupted DBX files. Unfortunately no demo version is offered for proof of effectiveness before purchase.

Are corrupted DBX files repairable as the softwar ecompanies claim and if so how and with what software ?
As this is a common and potentially disastrous problem, should not Microsoft be persuaded to provide a radical fix to avoid a tedious manual backing up process.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

This probably will not work but download MailViewer here. When you run it browse to your dbx files and see if it can view your mail. It doesn't repair anything but it may be able to view something. I used it to pull an attachment out of a saved dbx file without Outlook Express.

http://www.mitec.cz/mailview.html

#3 pasterrichard05

pasterrichard05

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

Deleted items are not in the inbox.dbx anymore, they are in the deleted items.dbx file now.

Were you able to select what folders you want to import from? If so, select the Deleted Items folder so it will be imported. Otherwise, if you can you still open OE, move all the deleted email back to the Inbox.

If those two things don't work, use to
https://getsatisfaction.com/microsoft/topics/how-to-view-corrupted-dbx-files?rfm=1&topic_submit=true

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users