Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP mini dead HD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 peterrow

peterrow

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 03:13 AM

Hi, I have a HP mini which is about 3 years old. It has hardly been used and I have now tried to use it but the HD is dead. I have put a new one in but how do I get a copy of windows. We did not make a copy when we bought it and dont know what to do now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:31 AM

You would need to  purchase recovery media from HP. The recovery media should have a nominal cost.

#3 peterrow

peterrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:00 AM

Hi JohnC_21, is this the only way. I think HP should give them for free as I have read that a lot of people have had the same problem with these mini computers.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

When you turn it on do you see any HD activity?  There may be an under lying issue.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

As far as I know HP only gives away the recovery disks in the computer is still under warranty. As OldPhil posted, are you sure the HDD has failed. You can always install a linux distro on the computer and bypass Windows completely. You can also boot a linux distro like Puppy off a USB and see if it runs. If not, then you have more problems than just a hard drive as Puppy runs off the USB and RAM.

#6 peterrow

peterrow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:01 AM

When I push start the screen come on and then does nothing. I have done some checks with F2 and it checks battery, memory and HD. All are fine except HD, it says its faulty. So I have put in a new HD and need to get the program to open and run windows again.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:53 AM

If you put in a new hard drive, you will need to obtain the OS from HP or use a linux distro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users