Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mom's Laptop Hangs After Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ginkasa2

Ginkasa2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:03 AM

My mom was complaining that her laptop running Windows 7 was getting really flow and freezing, so I offered to take a look.  It was very bad.  The computer is essentially unusable immediately after booting it up.  I can move the mouse around, but otherwise it does not react to any input.  I can't click on anything or open any programs.  I can't open Task Manager.  Nothing.

I booted in safe mode and was able to navigate around.  I downloaded and ran Malware Bytes to see what was up.  There were a lot of PUPs, but nothing more malicious than that.  I deleted those and reboot the computer, but same issue.  No difference.  Booted again in safe mode and ran Malware Bytes again to see if it missed anything the first time.  It came up with nothing.  I checked to see what programs started at boot-up and didn't see anything abnormal.  My next step is to start disabling those and see try to isolate which, if any, might be causing the issue, but its getting late and I thought one of you fine people might know a little more beyond wild guesses (which is about all I've got).

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:10 AM

If infected, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ginkasa2

Ginkasa2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:16 PM

I'm not sure it is infected is the thing.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

PuP's invite their buddies in - and they tend to produce the symptoms that you've related.
I think it's infected (and I do this a lot at work).

Get it checked in the Am I Infected forums.  They'll either fix it or will tell you it's not infected.
Then, if needed, come back here and we'll work on fixing the OS.

The reason for doing it this way is that some virus' will tend to hide when you work on a system - and that will make it more difficult for the malware experts to root it out.

I will get an email when/if you post back and will respond within 48 hours.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users