Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apps or Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Beings

Beings

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:45 PM

Okay, I need to explain. 

Windows 10 has to name their programs, "apps" and this complete annoyance. They have been naming their program list, programs since forever and not "applications" until Windows 10. (I am not sure about Windows 8.1) 

Why?

Why can't they just call it Program Files? Why do they have to call it Apps "applications". 

EXPLAIN 

Edited by Beings, 23 August 2015 - 11:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:57 PM

The term app should not scare one off, I have been using it for years even before apples "theres an app for that" iphone campaign.

It seems to have its roots in unix, Apple mostly bases their OS's on unix as does linux (where i get the term from)

And truth be told windows has been going this route for a long time using unix like directories and terms.

The NT file directory layout is very similar to ones you find in the unix world, especially in windows 7 (not so much in XP mind you) so its obvious Microsoft is taking notes.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

Beings, it's really simple. "Programs" are what you install under Windows using an installer and they are often referred to as "win32" applications: Google Chrome, VLC, Mozilla Firefox, VirtualBox, Notepad++, etc. while "Apps" is simply a word that refers to applications downloaded via the Windows Store. It's that simple.

Google Chrome is a "desktop app", which means that it's one of these standard programs you download and install via installers from the web.
OGHV2SP.png

Finances is an app that was downloaded and installed via the Windows Store.
chNGOHz.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:32 AM

Those terms have been used interchangeably for years. My title used to be Application developer and now I'm an Application Administrator. As a developer I developed Windows desktop apps and as an Application administrator I install desktop fat or thin clients, Web apps using IIS or Tomcat.  No people can the low footprint internet programs that run without a browser as apps   (downloaded from Itunes store, Android Playstore or the Windows store) (like was said before)). Programs are the WIndows larger footprint meaning they are install locally. There are also which most people call apps are apps that run in browsers alot written in Java. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:51 AM

Its mainly apple that has made the term popular again, much to my own chagrin as most associate the term app with phones.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users