Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen of death.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WTFGuise

WTFGuise

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

Something got deleted from the registry that shouldn't have and now I have a black screen of death. I downloaded a few cleaners for spyware and they messed my computer up more even after uninstalling. It was slow and just too much crap but no viruses...so I thought I'd use a registery cleaner to get rid of what was left. I planned on just formatting my harddrive soon but of course didn't get a chance to backup my files first.

First, I coudln't get past the Windows Log in screen which was in Japanese or something. I could tell because where my user photo should've been was a box with some icon. I clicked it thinking I could at least restart. Wrong. My settings were somehow still intact though, it woud shut off after 10 minutes.

That turned into pic below.

After that, I plugged my my bootable USB, flash drive in, restarted and hae a black screen of death. No lights, no noise, nothing. I unplugged my flash drive and still stuck on a black screen of death and now I can't restart it or anything. There is only one light lit up..a lightbulb..whatever that means but I can't shut it off, I can't do anything. The battery is built-in so I can't do anything about that either. Am I screwed?

Link to exact laptop I have
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Q502LA-BBI5T12-15-6-Inch-Touch-Screen-Laptop/dp/B00LU42R3I

Asus, Windows 8, i5, 8gb

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:51 AM

OK, the first thing to check is to see if your data is still on the system.

To do this you'll need a flash drive with a portable (Live) operating system on it that will allow to boot with UEFI support

You'll also probably need an external USB drive to save all your data on.

1)  To shut down the computer, press and hold the button that turns it on.  It may take 30 seconds or more, so be patient

2)  I'd suggest this portable/live operating system drive from it's description (I haven't used it myself as I have proprietary tools at work that I use):  http://www.boot-disk.com/

Boot to the flash drive by rapidly tapping the F8 key (or it can be the Esc key) - or you can use this to set the drive as the first boot option:  http://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008277

The locate and copy the data that you want to save to the external drive (most likely this will be the Users folder on the system's hard drive - that's where most of your personal data is stored).

Also, do you have installation media or a Startup Repair drive?  If not, I'd suggest contacting Asus for recovery media as it may be necessary:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#asus (link is for US users - others will have to contact the local support center for their manufacturer)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 WTFGuise

WTFGuise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:57 PM

I just wanted to update. Thanks for the response usasma. I attempted to try what you said and failed. It was really strange, even when I finally got into the BIOS (I had to use a different key/combo than I used to use) some of the settings had disappeared. Booting by USB was no longer an option..a lot of the options were gone. I ended up taking it to a computer guy to fix it and he didn't even know what he was looking at..Lol. It took him several disks before one of them jumped it into system restore and my desktop was back to where it was before the crash..everything still there.

Asus charges $50+ for the recovery disks..along with the hassle of trying to send you to a repair shop or mail your laptop to them to neve be seen again. So, it made more sense to just go to someone else.

Now, I need to to create emergency installation or system restore disks incase anything like this ever happens again..it shouldn't.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:40 AM

I work in a computer shop.  But here I don't generally send people to shops - just in an effort to save them money.
But it makes sense if you want to get a repair done quickly.

FYI - I'm not real happy with the experiences that I've had with Asus recovery things.  I've had enough problems that i will make sure that I create an image of the hard drive using a tool like Acronis True Image if I ever purchase an Asus computer again.  If you make the recovery media, please test it to make sure that it works.

Also, backup your stuff now - while you can still do it easily.  Worst case, just copy the entire Users folder to an external drive.  That will save most everything that you've saved (to include favorites in Chrome, Firefox and Safari, and a number of different email programs).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users