Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4-bit Color & 640x480 Screen Resolution, Cannot Change Settings!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fireincarnation

fireincarnation

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:53 PM

Running XP home on a dell computer with intel pentium 4 processor. We were running Yahoo Messenger, Firefox, Zone Alarm, and Glyph when it did this.

My girlfriend was trying to show me something on the settings of the computer, she closed all the windows without saving, (she did not click OK or APPLY) and when she walked away from the computer, the colors suddenly looked very similar to our 20yo MacII. Everything is very large, yet still because of the 4-bit color, very hard to read. I need to return the settings to normal, but when I try to adjust them through the control pannel, there does not appear to be a way to change the settings.

I am concerned we may have a virus, since said girlfriend recently downloaded "Glyph" (a game) from ArcadeTown.com. This game is supposed to be a free trial for an hour. So far it has played for a total of about 16 hours without running out of time. This is suspitious to me.

Advice?

Update: I restarted the compy, and the problem just magically disappeared. This (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=0c4aa703-36b5-48bf-893e-fd296898968d&SID=531) was the result of the crash analysis. Anyone know what caused this problem? My Dell is still under warantee, should I complain to Dell about it and request new parts? Is this a software or hardware problem?

Edited by fireincarnation, 14 July 2006 - 05:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hi fireincarnation, welcome to BC.
Don't waste your time complaining to Dell. :thumbsup:
Since the issue no longer exists there is nothing they can or will do.
If this continues to be a problem outside of playing "Glyph", you may want to consider a graphics driver update. Do not get them from MS if you decide to upgrade them.
You may also want to check the games preferred color\resolution settings. You may be just out of it's range.

This game is supposed to be a free trial for an hour. So far it has played for a total of about 16 hours without running out of time. This is suspitious to me.

I downloaded (not installed) and scanned the game setup file using multiple detections and it came up clean.
It isn't infected with a virus or trojan. Spyware or Adware is a different story but Arcadetown guarantees none of either.

Edited by HitSquad, 16 July 2006 - 07:22 AM.

#3 ntx

ntx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:32 PM

This may be simple driver problem, I had similar thing in past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users