Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't drag and drop files from archives and warning messages about harmful files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aurelis

Aurelis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

After i've upgraded my pc and done clean install of Windows 10 i keep getting warnings like that:

These files might be harmful to your computer
Your internet security settings suggest that one or more files may be harmful. Do you want to use it anyway?

Whenever i try to drag some files from folders if they are not on the system disk.

I've disabled smartscreen completely, disabled windows firewall, tried putting UAC on the lowest setting and even disabling it through registry (this resulted in a lot of errors and some programs even stopped working and still demanded to be run as administrator), tried changing some permissions in gpedit.msc, tried changing security settings in internet settings like lowering threat levels but nothing helped.

I've also noticed that some programs, like VLC for example, are unable to save their settings unless i run them as administrator now. Also i can't even drag and drop files from archives at all - the mouse cursor just turns to red circle when i try to do it and if i want to unzip some files i get UAC confirmation window first. Also when i try to run .exe's from inside the archive i get "access denied" error and the path to temp folder. I've checked my temp folder in case it had wrong permissions but they seems to be fine.

Is there a way to disable all this security bs?

Edited by Aurelis, 23 August 2015 - 10:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

Turn on Windows Firewall, and UAC should be set to its default settings.

Try right-click the drive that is causing the warnings, and click Properties

Then, if you see Unblock, click it

You might have to reinstall Windows 10 due to the issues of trying to edit the registry, etc causing the other issues with programs, but it is a drastic step, so try ways to fix it rather than reinstalling.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:07 PM

Are you under administrator?

When I move files around or change something, It asks me if I should allow it or not

I think that is part of Windows security. It makes it so a virus or malware cant change stuff without your permission

I could be wrong, but thats what I think

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

On my computer, I have administrator privileges, but it only asks it if I wanted to copy things to folders I don't have permission to write to, or if you try to modify system files and folders.

Lets fix some of the issues

Download Tweaking.com Windows Repair from here

Reboot into Safe Mode:

Press Windows + R

type msconfig and press enter

Under boot, make sure Safe Mode is checked, and change from minimal to Networking

Click OK

It will ask you if you want to restart, choose Yes

Now, you should have entered Safe Mode (which has a black Desktop background when you log in)

Repair using Windows Repair

Extract the downloaded zip file

Run Repair_Windows.exe

Let Windows Repair check if its corrupted

Go to Step 2 tab in the program, and let it do a prescan. If it finds any missing, or damaged packages, do NOT continue the rest of the steps.

Go to Step 3 tab, and click on Check. If it notices a problem, click on Open Check Disk At Next Boot, and restart your computer so it can repair the computer. Once you restart, it will be back into the normal mode, so follow the Reboot into Safe Mode again, and continue.

Go to Step 4 tab, and click Do it (if it notices a problem, stop there, and we will work on fixing it)

Go to Step 5 tab, and under Registry Backup, click Backup, and then under System Restore, click Create.

Click on Repairs tab, and then UNCHECK all except the following

Reset Registry Permissions
Reset File Permissions
Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings

Make sure Restart/Shutdown System When Finished is checked, and then choose Restart System instead of Shutdown System

Click Start Repairs

Let it finish, and then when your computer restarts into the normal mode (without the black Desktop background)

Open Windows Repair again, and click on repairs

Choose Logs, and copy and paste the log for your next reply.

Edited by CKing123, 26 August 2015 - 06:39 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users