Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need a new optical drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RcC

RcC

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

I have final realized I need a new optical drive. Mine will not read a DVD although it does still read

CDs. My question is what is a good replacement for a ATAPI iHAS124 C ATA Device? It has a

SATA interface. Bottom line is, what is a good inexpensive SATA optical drive?

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2015 - 07:11 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

Here's a link for a decent one. It has 6000 views so far it's popular Asus brand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204&cm_re=cdrom_drive%2c_internal-_-27-135-204-_-Product

Edited by technonymous, 23 August 2015 - 10:46 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:10 AM

IMO...with optical drives, none are better than the rest.  I just go with something that has manufacturer recognition...and I harbor the premise that all optical drives are made in Japan, akin to VCRs when they were popular.  IMO, the going rate for an optical drive should be no more than a max of $25 today..

I don't consider Asus as a source of anything other than motherboards, even though they do have their name on other products.  If you go to their webpage...you will not see optical drives highlighted as products.  I believe Hitachi and Toshiba make more drives than anyone else...but with subcontracts and licenses, just about anyone can slap their name on a drive made by any of the large manufacturers.  Samsung, LG, and Lite-On are familiar names in the marketplace.

Louis

#4 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

I always check pcpartpicker and filter by lowest price when looking for optical drives.

for3ver,
goose90proof

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, anyone of them is good just take your pick most are 20 bucks + SH. More expensive drives are the Light-scribe and Blu-ray.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:23 PM

IMO...with optical drives, none are better than the rest.  I just go with something that has manufacturer recognition...and I harbor the premise that all optical drives are made in Japan, akin to VCRs when they were popular.  IMO, the going rate for an optical drive should be no more than a max of $25 today..

I don't consider Asus as a source of anything other than motherboards, even though they do have their name on other products.  If you go to their webpage...you will not see optical drives highlighted as products.  I believe Hitachi and Toshiba make more drives than anyone else...but with subcontracts and licenses, just about anyone can slap their name on a drive made by any of the large manufacturers.  Samsung, LG, and Lite-On are familiar names in the marketplace.

Louis

There are few makers left in the market, as it's not an especially profitable one.  Optiarc (Sony & NEC joint venture) has now shut down, so no more Sony or NEC drives.  TSST (Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology), HLDS (Hitachi LG Data Storage) and PLDS (Philips LiteOn Digital Solutions) are the main optical drive makers left in the market.  So yes, basically Samung, LG and Lite-On as you said.  Anything else is probably a rebadge of one of these products.  EDIT Pioneer still make some Blu Ray writers.

FWIW I've found LG drives (specifically an LG GH24NSB0) slightly better at reading old damaged discs that have been problematic in other drives I own.

Edited by jonuk76, 24 August 2015 - 08:38 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users