Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help... "No Signal" on Monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CoreyK31

CoreyK31

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

Hello all.. This is my first post on this site, so hoping I can get some help.

So I have a custom PC I built myself and love it. Today, I was using my PC with no issues whatsoever, I went to plug something into the back of my PC Tower, when I accidentally knocked out my HDMI Cable. After plugging it back in my Monitor was displaying "No Signal".

After attempting multiple resets hoping the power boot would trigger the signal to the Monitor, I came up with no luck. Even attempted to use a standard VGA cable only to result in the same issue, "No Signal".

Again, in another attempt to troubleshoot, I brought in a small TV and attempted to plug in HDMI cable, only so get yet another "No Signal" message.

I'm just so confused because I was JUST using the computer seconds before I knocked the HDMI cable out.

PLEASE HELP!! Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 August 2015 - 09:06 AM.
moved from General Chat to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

Welcome to the forums Corey K31.What is this sounds like to me is maybe the port that the HDMI cable plugs into  on the tower or monitor got damaged when the cable got knocked out. or maybe the cable itself went bad. I am sorry I could not of been of anymore help then this.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:03 PM

It looks like Atomic77 might be right, and the video card has been damaged. Technically, HDMI is supposed to be hot-swap, but many manufacturers advise it not be hot swapped as experience has shown it occasionally does damage to the port.

Since you have tried another display and different leads, it points to the computer video as the probable culprit. Exactly what this involves depends on how the video is implemented, i.e is it a discrete video card, or onboard? If it has both, firstly make sure the trial connection of the VGA wasn't made to an onboard port that is switched off in which case try the card's own VGA port first, then remove the video card and try the onboard video function.

Conversely, if the video is onboard only, or a video card in a mainboard without onboard video, being able to borrow a video card and see if it works would be the best troubleshooting technique. (A low-cost video card would be a good idea in case it gets damaged too!)

Edited by Platypus, 24 August 2015 - 11:06 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users