Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HTML5 safe alternative to Adobe Flash Player?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justme4now

justme4now

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

It seems HTML5 can be used instead of Flash Player? Before I start downloading HTML5, is there anything I should know about it? Is it safe to use? Is it safe to download? I had a bad experience with Flash Player and am now skittish. But I like to take courses at UDEMY and they apparently only have those two options to view them with.

Has anyone used HTML5? Can I expect a lot of crap attached to it when it downloads?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

HTML is what web browsers read from web sites in order to render them. HTML 5, is the latest standard, which enables features that you used to need Flash for.

You shouldn't be downloading anything for it, unless your browser is seriously out of date - in which case you might have to download a recent version of your browser. If you keep your browser updated, any page designed with HTML 5 should render fine.

Edited by yu gnomi, 23 August 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

justme4now,

Different browsers - and the different versions of each one, may support HTML5 to different degrees. As you are specifically asking about HTML5 audio and video here is information about what audio and video can run using HTML5 in Firefox https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/html5-audio-and-video-firefox.

A good online reference for web browser support of HTML5 is https://html5test.com/results/desktop.html.

Please let me know if you have other questions about HTML5.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:20 AM

Worth reading from a ZDNet article also since some browsers have built in flash plugins and or how to control content settings.

Tekken

#5 justme4now

justme4now
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

Thanks so much, everybody. I will report back on how I decided to proceed. :thumbup2:

#6 justme4now

justme4now
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

Apparently there are 2 steps involved in getting HTML5 to kick in. After I got rid of Flashplayer I obtained the Firefox extension called "HTML5 Video Everywhere." This didn't help with all the videos I was confronted with, for instance Udemy still wouldn't play videos and kept telling me to install Flash updates. Then i read the small print of the above extension and realized I had also had to install an add-on called "No Flash." So far, so good, I have been able to view the videos I wanted without problems. :bananas:

#7 justme4now

justme4now
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:39 AM

The inevitable occurred - there are things that do need Flash Player. Bummer. Also, I have a software that after the owner updated it isn't running anymore in Firefox, only in Chrome. Since I really need this program I have no choice but to reinstall Chrome.  :scratchhead:  I'm mad about it but what can I do? The best I can do is find out if there is anything special I need to know about Chrome and Flashplayer aside from going into Macromedia privacy settings and fix things the way they ought to be. 

Any other suggestions about precautions with Google Chrome? (I don't know where on the forum this should go.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users