Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioned 1Tb Hard Drive and 2 OS.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flypaper

flypaper

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

Folks

I am a babe in the woods just getting on my feet so please bear with me.

I have swapped out a shot hard drive from my Dell Inspiron 546 for a new 1Tb one. The dell is running a AMD Phenom X4 64. I plan to partition the new hard drive and right now it has the new windows 10 on it . I have found a lot of my programs do not work properly with 10 on the older Dell. I don't know if it's possible but can I partition, keeping the 32 bit Win10 in one and down load a 64 bit copy of Win7 on the new partition,hopping to end up running a Win 10 32 bit on 'C' and a 64 bit Win 7 on the new partition?

Possible?or pipe dream?

Any input will be most welcome and appreciated!

Flypaper 

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2015 - 01:53 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

It should be possible to do this.  However I have to admit I haven't set up a dual boot system on one disk since Windows 7 era.  It could be there are some extra complications.  One of which is that Windows 10 seems to create more partitions for itself than older versions of Windows (I have 4).  If Windows 10 is 32bit, then the disk will be in MBR rather than GPT format.  You can check this in Disk Management.  In Disk Management, right click the drive and choose "Properties" and choose the "Volumes" tab.

PHUvZiD.png

The implication of MBR format is it limits you to 4 primary partitions (or 3 primary, 1 extended).  It would be helpful if you include a screenshot of your main Disk Management window to show how your drive is currently partitioned.

Another possible issue is that it is usually easier to install the older O/S first (i.e. Windows 7) and create space for the newer one (i.e. Windows 10), then install that second.  This is because Windows traditionally doesn't "play nicely" with O/S's it doesn't recognise, and tends to overwrite the boot loader, potentially leaving your original OS unbootable.  Windows 10 installer will recognise an existing Windows 7 install, but Windows 7 installer won't necessarily recognise a Windows 10 install...

I also wanted to install Windows 7 on my Windows 10 system for various reasons, and for me, the easier solution was to use a separate hard drive for Windows 7.  I disconnected the primary disk and installed Windows 7 to a second hard drive, then reconnected the Win 10 drive once the install was done.  This prevents the Windows 7 installer from interfering with the Windows 10 install in any way..  This means I don't get a boot menu, but fortunately my system has a boot override key (F12) which allows me to select which drive to boot from at startup without having to go into BIOS.

Edited by jonuk76, 23 August 2015 - 09:50 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 flypaper

flypaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

Jonuk76

Thanks for your input.

Let me expand a bit:

I installed the 1Tb HHD and installed a 32 bit Windows 7 in-order to qualify  for the free windows 10 offer. After windows 10 loaded and I started to re-install some of my programs (Corel X7 Paint Shop Pro) I started having trouble with them. As much as I like the feel of 10 I am more interested in the usefulness of my programs.

So as of now I have 10 on my HD with Windows 32 tucked away on it in case I want to go back (which I do but in 64 bit).

As I read your reply I can partition my HD to run both OS, but having windows 7 on it first and then downloading windows10 into its own partition would be the  hassle free way to do this'

a simple sketch of my HD at this moment:

System Reserved 100 MB NTFS                        ( C) 930 GB  NTFS                                   450 MB Recovery Partition                                                  

/_______________________/   /______________________________________/  /___________________________/ 

I hope the above makes sense. 

Volumes Looks like this

DISK..............DISK 0

TYPE ............BASIC

STATUS........ON LINE

PARTITION STYLE.......MBR

CAPACITY........ 953869 MB

UNALLOCATED SPACE......3MB

RESERVED SPACE.......0

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

VOLUMES

(C ).................953316 MB

SYSTEM RESERVED................ 10 MB

(hd avatar no title)......................450 MB

Perhaps with this new information things are a bit clearer.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge.

Flypaper

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the further information.  I've had a quick read around, and essentially, I think all you really need to do is shrink the 930Gb partition, and create a new empty one in the unallocated space for Windows 7 to install into.  It should be possible to do this using Disk Management.  I'd recommend  allowing at least 100Gb and possibly more if you are going to be installing a lot of programs in Windows 7.  This will use up your 4 partition allowance with the MBR partition scheme.

I found a guide which is quite helpful here.  It's for Windows 7 and Windows 8, but Windows 10 is quite similar to Windows 8 in a lot of ways, and there shouldn't be too much difference.  After reading it, I'm a bit more hopeful that installing Windows 7 after Windows 10 will work.

FWIW personally, I'd still prefer the two hard disks method, but if you want to do it like this it should be possible.  If there is anything on the disk currently that you'd rather not lose, be sure to back up before you attempt to do this.

Edited by jonuk76, 24 August 2015 - 07:00 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 flypaper

flypaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

Thank you very much for your time and input, I'd also like to add the 2nd Hard Drive as you mentioned but although the Dell has a 2nd power plug for a 2nd it lacks the serial input line and plug on the motherboard, I'm sure there may be a workaround for that but that i something I dont even know what to look for....but

Thanks again

Fly

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

Another Reference

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users