Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card not working I think

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 shyjan

shyjan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

My HP Compaq Presario Media Center SR2050NX (Pentium D 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD)

boots up but nothing shows on the screen. From the way it sounds and looks  it seems like everything is working I just get no video.

I have a new card but it does not seem to recognize it.  I cant go into setup because I have no visual, I thought if I disable the video card that is built in it will recognize the new one.

Also not sure my video card is the right one PCI express

How can I get this monitor to work for troubleshooting.

Thanks

Jan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

hello, ok, when you first boot up, do you see the HP/compaq splash screen? if so, we just might be looking at a good card, but mismatched config. that splash screen means you will be able to access BIOS and safe mode while tapping the appropriate F key at the same time the splash screen appears.. i assume you are using XP windows. does this new card have a 6-pin plug-in attribute? if it does then almost assuredly, your power supply won't have the provision for it.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the quick response...

I get nothing on the screen.... no splash no nothing

It does not have a 6 pin plug-in attribute.  I dont think....not sure what that is...but if you are saying it has an extra plug into the power supply then no.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:47 PM

Yes some video cards have an extra power connector - these are usually cards that are above the "basic video card" level - aimed at gaming etc.  A PCI-Express card should work, according to the specs.  So have you tried the new card?  What happens with it fitted?  Does it appear/sound like it's booting up but with no screen output (like you describe with the integrated graphics) or does it behave differently? 

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for your quick response....I did put it in and nothing...no change...that is why I am wondering if it is the wrong type of card or if a driver needs to be installed or old one needs to be disabled.

This is the cheapest I could find. The computer has xp on it and it does come with an upgrade to Vista...but currently xp is installed.

It was on its way t be recyled when I thought I should give it another try.

I did buy 2 of these...one for a friend which is still working and was upgraded to vista.

Edited by shyjan, 23 August 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:57 AM

i would believe that you can remove it from the motherboard socket  (PCIe) and use the motherboard vga out connection on the back of the cabinet at least to get the display working.

also, can you describe the card ( I.e. msi hd 5450 )

if you do get the display working, you can get into the BIOS to check for a setting/toggle, i believe it would be called something like "enable PEG" .....enabling PEG means "yes motherboard, use the slot for display"  PEG is an acronym for "PCI Enabled Graphics"

i looked up that model, and you do have the PCIe x16 slot and also an ati chipset for the onboard video, which would mean if you have an Nvidia card (i.e GT430 etc) the drivers would have to be reset also, via safe mode.  i will be following this topic to be sure that you will have achieved the desired results.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-SR2000-Desktop-PC-series/3239110/model/3245039/document/c00753788/

Edited by synergy513, 24 August 2015 - 03:01 AM.

#7 dixdanielle

dixdanielle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hi. one thing I did when installing a new vid card was I didnt plug in the monitor to the new vid card. did you? you cant use the same plug you used to use. lol. I know it seems like a silly question. but thats what I did and was frustrated for days.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:42 PM

oh yes, it is sometimes easy to forget about the small things when caught up in the process. I see that sometimes when a user is assembling a custom PC and it won't turn on or boot after completion.  During the process, they forget to read the motherboard manual and all of the parameters involved to get the successful boot.

anyway, yes, the onboard video VGA port connected to the motherboard is aligned vertically and should be located up high by the case fan whereas the PCIe video card port connectors are down lower and aligned horizontal.

#9 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:21 PM

So when I plug in the new card I get nothing. Same issue. Computer sounds and leds go on to the hard drive , and I hear the fan but no display.

THe motherboard says pci express on it.

The card is galaxy nvidia gforce 8400gs pcie 512 mb ddr2

And I plugged the monitor into it....therefore that is why I asked how to disable the built in  one.

Thanks in advance for you nice help Syn...and staying intouch.

Jan

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:25 AM

ok, here is the 8400gs XP driver page, it looks like a pretty big size file    133mb

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/77225

download it to a folder you will remember and have it ready to go when you are prompted by windows for the support for the new hardware

ok, when you powered up while the monitor was connected to the card, did you see the compaq splash screen?  it only shows up for a second or two, that is your tiny window of time to get into your BIOS/safe mode..i will look up the exact key to use...

ok your presario is f10 to get into BIOS and f8 to get into the boot options and safe mode

prolly the best way to get this component functional is a BIOS reset first....power down the PC and if you look inside the cabinet at the motherboard, you will see a round button cell type battery about the size of a quarter, if at all possible, see if you can dislodge it..then leave it out for quite a while, maybe 30 minutes or so..... put it back in..

if you can't get it out, their might be a another way via the motherboard cmos reset jumper bridge.... but try the battery removal first, it is the easiest way for now.

ok, once you get the battery back in  power-up Presario with the card installed and watch for BIOS to prompt you for the time to be entered, if you get that, then your reset was successful.  while you are in the BIOS, look for that setting called PEG enable, it might be there, it might not..

after you enter the time, exit and save the BIOS entries and it should put you back into the boot process and see if you can get into safe mode with the f8 key right after you exit the BIOS.

once in safe mode, go to the device manager and look for the display adapter, is it showing up there?

P.S.  a BIOS reset is required after you manually power down the machine because your display was blank

Edited by synergy513, 03 September 2015 - 05:03 AM.

#11 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:43 PM

Thanks so much for the detailed information.  Unfortunately after removing the battery,  I get the same....nothing on the display it does not even go off power save mode. Very frustrating.  But I really appreciate your expanations!

Jan

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

after removing/re-installing  the battery did your PC display the splash screen at least??

it is possible that the splash screen is disabled in the msconfig, but unlikely..

Yes, helping another PC user avoid expenses is really gratifying. it seems like everyone is going to be experiencing adversity in their PC usage activities, I know i was in that same boat several times, and being able to solve the issues with some helpful information was a real relief...so that street does go both ways, if i can help,   then that is excellent.

Edited by synergy513, 03 September 2015 - 04:36 PM.

#13 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

I pressed f8 blindly just in case I could get into safe mode ....but still no luck!

Thanks for all your help though!

#14 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

ok, is the splash screen appearing, if just for a second or two?   aplologies for calling it a splash screen, that is industry slang, it is more of a logo screen.

after you removed the battery and re-inserted it, when you powered on, did you get a screen that was waiting for you to set the time and date?

here is a link with a nice brief explanation of the safe mode function, it will be required to get into the safe mode for you to configure the 8400

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315222

are you using the onboard video for display after the 8400 is not sending signal to your monitor? the onboard is the vga port that is aligned vertically.

here is another article that might help. the msconfig setting must be correct for safe mode to initiate with the f8 key during the brief logo screen.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/how-do-i-get-out-of-safemode-with-msconfig/42726fa0-36c7-4a1f-8a6e-7bb1c725d869?auth=1

Edited by synergy513, 04 September 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#15 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

no splash screen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users