Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloned SSD Samsung to another trying to recover lost space

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 leoliger

leoliger

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

I have just successfully cloned a SSD Samsung EVO 250 to another SSD Samsung EVO 500 with Clonzilla. I am cloning a newly built 8.1 (now update to Windows 10) machine. I have just used Clonzilla to make the close and it work beautifully, however I cannot seem to recover the lost space on the larger 500GB drive. It is still the same as the older driver, but there is no option to extend the drive. This is the first I have cloned a drive and researched before I started to work on my computer to used Clonzilla. Now, I have read the in order to use the other unallocated space you need to go into Expert Mode in Clonzilla and select -k1 to recover the unallocated space. But that does not seem to happen with that particular option, as documented on the Clonzilla website.

When downloading tool MiniTool Partition Wizard it has showed the the DRIVE is GPT and not MBR. This can be because of the EFI Bios on my Asus Sabertooth as it has specifically said that it cannot allocated the space using the -k1 option in Clonizilla. Is there a way to extend the C:/ drive to recover the unallocated space?

http://imgur.com/JbF0zr9

http://imgur.com/ma4v9Vt

Edited by leoliger, 23 August 2015 - 02:15 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:32 PM

Using Minitools you need to move the 450MB NTFS partition to the end of the disk then resize the C: partition into the unallocated space. I don't know if you have used Minitools but Click on the 450MB partition and select Resize/Move. Drag the partition fully to the right by left clicking. Then click on the C: partition. Resize by left clicking on the right arrow of the partition and dragging to the right. All steps are virtual. Nothing is done until you click apply. If you make a mistake you can delete the operation before pressing apply.

Edit: As with any move operation, it is always wise to backup any personal data if you have not done so. 

Edit Edit: Windows will create a GPT disk on a UEFI comptuer.

Move/Resize

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#3 leoliger

leoliger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Nope. I tried to moving the 450 MB to the right and all it does it create 50 MB or unallocated space. The free version of MiniTools does not allow the use of merging the partitions either. But, moving/resizing does not get back the 160GB that are on the 500GB drive back.

Edited by leoliger, 23 August 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

I did notice something in your Minitools image. There is no unallocated space shown after the 450MB partition which is strange. It just shows as blank.

See if using the bootable version of Minitools which is linux based sees that unallocated space after the 450MB partition. 

#5 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Does extending the partition via Windows Disk Management not work?

#6 leoliger

leoliger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

It is greyed out within Disk Management. And it does not show that there is any extra space.

Edited by leoliger, 23 August 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#7 leoliger

leoliger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

As you can see here, I have use the Partition Recovery in MiniTools and it sees the unallocated space, but there in Ext3 filesystem and not showing up in windows. So maybe there is something I have to do within Clonzilla, but it is not showing much after reading the documentation Clonezilla website.

http://imgur.com/6WRIrkn

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

I would try the bootable Partition Wizard. That should detect the EXT3 linux partition. Delete it and then do the steps I posted previously. Or you can use a Gparted Live CD which will also detect EXT3.

Edit: I am not sure how you got a EXT3 partition on the drive after a clone with clonezilla though.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2015 - 02:51 PM.

#9 leoliger

leoliger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

I am going to try the Gparted. The bootable partition wizard is not working for some odd reason. Saying that I need to boot the kernel first. Though I do not see why it will not boot on my machine.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

I don't know if you have used Gparted but you need to select your drive (device) in a dropdown box - upper right of the window.

If this computer is UEFI you should disable SecureBoot if enabled in UEFI. A linux disk will not boot if Secureboot is enabled. You may need to change boot to Legacy or CSM boot if disabling SecureBoot does not work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#11 leoliger

leoliger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

I finally got it! The GParted option worked. Booted up GParted it found the unallocated data.

1. Boot in GParted. (It found the unallocated space.)

2. Change that space from unallocated to NTFS.

3. Restart.

4. Go into Windows Disk Management and delete the newly created space, found in GParted, until it says that the space is unallocated in Windows 10.

5. Opened MiniTools Partition Wizard.

6. Select the C:/ drive to Extend and allowed me to select the unallocated space.

7. Apply and now I have the lost space I wanted.

http://imgur.com/IyXq6fW

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

Nice. Did you need to disable SecureBoot in order to boot Gparted?

#13 leoliger

leoliger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

No, I didn't. I have not looked in my UEFI settings to see if it was enable or not. But I went ahead with the process before you made the post about SecureBoot. GParted booted fine, while the Partition Wizard Live did not. Researching more about it, I think that SecureBoot is enable on the computer because the booted ISO said that certificated not authorized, or something like that,

Edited by leoliger, 23 August 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#14 jackmiller506

jackmiller506

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:00 PM

I believe There is somthing you did with clonezilla .then it leads to the unallocated space is "hidden".I've been using minitool partition wizard for a long time and never met anything like you said,anyway.glad to hear that you've figured it out

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users