Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hard Drive Replacement?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

I was thinking about replacing the hard drive in my wife's laptop. I'm not quite sure I need to replace it may be that I messed up and threw the Boot Drive priority out of place. The lap top is a Toshiba Sat C675-S7109 Widows 7. I cannot boot to Windows it turns on to Reboot and select proper boot device select a.

I did manage to get it over to the Set Up screen, but not quite sure what to select and even if I do select the correct boot drive whether it will boot to Windows. Anyway here are the four options I am viewing. This is the sequence it is in. From what I am sharing could you tell me if I need to replace the hard drive or could I save this if I knew what I was doing...lol?

I do not have a boot disk.  Thank You!

HDD/SSD

USB

ODD: TSSTcorp CDDVDW  SN-208AB

LAN:Realtek PXE B04 D00

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:23 AM

Download Parted Magic, a program based on linux, here. Burn the iso file to a CD or DVD using a Windows 7 computer by right clicking the iso and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the Parted Magic disk and on the desktop is a icon called either Disk Health or GsmartControl. Double click the icon and run the short generic test. If that passes run the long generic test and post the log. 

I have a feeling your hard drive is failing or has failed. Here is a video explaining Gsmartcontrol

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:38 AM

Download Parted Magic, a program based on linux, here. Burn the iso file to a CD or DVD using a Windows 7 computer by right clicking the iso and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the Parted Magic disk and on the desktop is a icon called either Disk Health or GsmartControl. Double click the icon and run the short generic test. If that passes run the long generic test and post the log. 

I have a feeling your hard drive is failing or has failed. Here is a video explaining Gsmartcontrol

The only Widows 7 is the laptop and I cannot get to Windows to go on line to get this program. My PC is Windows 8.1. I guess this is a no go? I was planning on replacing the hard drive myself. I was planning on picking a new HD this week and hopefully have this up and running. Also I was going to pick up a HD converter to transfer the files from the replaced HD to another computer. Would this be a bad idea because the files may be corrupt?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,821 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:53 AM

You can do the same thing with Windows 8.1, sorry. Anything after Windows 7 will work also.

Edit: If the Hard drive is failing you may not be able to copy over your files but you can do this with Parted Magic, It has a File Manager that will let you copy files to a USB flash or external drive. The naming convention is a little different than Windows. Your Windows partition would be labeled sdaX  where X is the letter of the Windows partition. You probably have two partitions on the disk currently the 100MB system reserved partition and the Windows partition. You may see sda1 and sda2 where sda2 is the Windows partition

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#5 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

You can do the same thing with Windows 8.1, sorry. Anything after Windows 7 will work also.

Edit: If the Hard drive is failing you may not be able to copy over your files but you can do this with Parted Magic, It has a File Manager that will let you copy files to a USB flash or external drive. The naming convention is a little different than Windows. Your Windows partition would be labeled sdaX  where X is the letter of the Windows partition. You probably have two partitions on the disk currently the 100MB system reserved partition and the Windows partition. You may see sda1 and sda2 where sda2 is the Windows partition

I just dragged the Parted Magic program from my computer where I downloaded to a Flash Drive. Will this work the same as a disk? If the answer is yes what will I do once I place the Flash Drive into the USB port on the laptop? Thank you!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,821 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:24 PM

Just copying the iso file to the USB flash drive will not work. If you want a bootable flash drive you need to use a program called Rufus. Download rufus and double click the exe file. Select MBR partition scheme. Make sure your flash drive is listed in the dropdown box. Where you see Freedos select iso image. Click on the folder icon and browse to the Parted Magic iso file. The iso should be on your desktop and not on the flash drive you are trying to make bootable. Press start. Backup any data you have on the flash drive as it will be formatted. 

Attach the flash drive and boot the computer. Some computers have a boot menu that is shown when you tap a certain key. For toshiba it may be the F2 or F12 key you tap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users