Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I find out what I installed and uninstalled last week?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 usedtobefast

usedtobefast

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:39 AM

My internet browsing become unbelievably slow in the last few days. I trawled through many internet forums following lots of different advice that others have suggested and nothing has worked.

Today I came across a forum where someone discusses a very similar problem and then it was solved. Apparently they had some exif viewer that was conflicting with the browser. Once they deleted it everything ran normally for them. I thought my gosh only a few days ago I downloaded some form of exif viewer to see how this metadata works. After boring of it I deleted it. It is since then that I have had the problem of slow browsing.

I don't know how to find this. I have the standard control panel uninstall feature, I also downloaded revo uninstaller. Each of these display the programs currently on my computer. But not ones that I have deleted. Is there a way I could see a list of everything that I downloaded and find the name of whatever exif viewer I downloaded last week. I assume the program is gone but perhaps some instructions are still somewhere on my computer and intefering with my browser. I have tried reading many sites about using some power shell commands and I was looking in event viewer although I cannot understand it. Is there a method I could use to find out what program I downloaded and uninstalled so I could try to remove any leftover instances of it with something like Hitmapro.

I have used ccleaner and even defraggler in the last few days but the internet browsing is still very slow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

Open your browser and view the downloads.

If you can't figure this out, post the name of the browser you are using and I will post instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usedtobefast

usedtobefast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:21 AM

Hi Arachibutyrophobia,

So not only did I have internet trouble I am also in Sydney so please excuse the late reply. 

I think I deleted that list. I also went using revo uninstaller to delete google chrome and reinstall it. So that information seems lost. I was looking more for some sort of log or event viewer that recorded what and or when something was installed and uninstalled. 

Anyway the good news is this: I have downloaded opera and it works absolutely fine. This is odd. Whatever I installed and uninstalled in obviously not active on my computer but since opera is brand new the potentially leftover instructions do not effect opera. (I'm not sure if that is a legitimate phrase in computing but I used it anyway).

The other query I had is minor. In the last month I moved into a new apartment and I use the router that my housemate always had. Sometimes I need to play around to get the connection going (more often that not everything works fine). When it is problematic I just get limited connection but I cannot load anything. Sometimes I connect with an ethernet cable. Once its running I unplug that and revert to wi fi. Other times that does nothing and I may use netsh winsock rest and ipconfig to change dns and ip. Sometimes that does not work and I end up turning on and off the router. Any combination of these solutions may or may not get me connected. This is really just the odd time. Is there something I need to manually change in my computer to configure it properly to the router in the apartment. Everything is set automatically(the dns, ipv4 and ipv6.) In the router page (where one accesses by typing in the modems ip address) I can select g or b as the mode.(Or g and b In my wireless adapter I can select 802.11b preamble or adhoc 11n. Is this a problem? Is my laptop much newer than the modem and could this result in this random poor limited connection.

It's only in the last week that I have been reading and reading more about these things. So far it seems like it shouldn't matter.
There is still the issue that sometimes the ethernet cable still has a problem with limited connection. So more than likely my question is way off. Is there anything I can manually do at the ip address page of the modem and my computer so that they are always in agreement. If I update my network adapters they tell me everything is updated. I could try and update the routers firmware but I would need permission from the housemate before I attempt that. Anyway this is small potatoes since more often than not I have working internet. 

Edited by usedtobefast, 25 August 2015 - 01:28 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

Try connecting the computer directly to the modem with the Ethernet cable to see if the problem is with the router.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usedtobefast

usedtobefast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:49 AM

Sometimes neither helps me get on. At the moment wireless does not work but the ethernet does work. Holding the button on the modem or turning it off and on sometimes helps and sometimes does not. The diagnostics does not help either. My housemates laptop is always connecting fine to the wireless. 

#6 usedtobefast

usedtobefast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

I was running diagnostics there on the wireless. It gets to a stage and then requests that I plug in an ethernet cable. After I connect and wait for the connection I press next step. Then in concludes "a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken." 

So if it works with the ethernet cable now but not with wireless how does it detect a cable problem. Are there other cables in the router or in my laptop to the signal sending device that may be loose or something? 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

What is the make and model of this laptop?

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

To answer you question "Can I find out what I installed and uninstalled last week?"

YES, there is a way you *might* be able to see what was installed and uninstalled.

IF you have system restore points from the past week the program you installed then uninstalled should be listed in System Restore.

You will have to look through all restore points for the past week in order to find the name.

Need to know how to access System Restore? Ask and someone can give you instructions for doing so.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

I had suggested connecting a Ethernet cable between your laptop and the modem in order to take the router out of the equation.  If the problem doesn't occur connected in the fashion I suggested I would guess that either the router has a problem or your wifi adapter.

#10 usedtobefast

usedtobefast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:41 AM

The only points I had in system restore were from after when my browsing got slow. I must have done something to delete the restore points. I was going to do it last week when no browser would load a page but alas. 

My laptop is  toshiba satellite. 

The modem is a netgear dg834gu

Currently the ethernet is working fine. The wireless is not working. It may either not connect or else connect with a limited connection that is unuseable. I noticed the log of the network adapter recorder a change last week. I may have done that seeing as I was wondering if the drivers were up to date. I rolled back to a previous setting but it made no difference. 

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

Have you tried resetting the router to the factory default settings?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665/~/restoring-a-netgear-home-router-to-the-factory-default-settings

#12 usedtobefast

usedtobefast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

Yes. Restoring to factory settings did not work. But I have gotten closer. So after reading the manual for the modem I discovered that when switching it on it does a power on self test and gives a result by showing the power light in solid red for a bit instead of green. It then switches to solid green. So now the modem works on my laptop over ethernet. My housemate's laptop and mobile phone and my mobile phone all connect wirelessly but my laptop does not connect wirelessly. 

The firmware seems to be up to date. 

I have googled this problem and played around with other's advice but nothing worked. 

I assume at this stage optus will have to send a technician or do something to it over the internet. Thanks for your help anyway. 

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:06 PM

It is possible that your WiFi adapter in the laptop could be at fault and your issue has noting to do with the modem gateway. router.

I mention that because you said other devices are able to connect wirelessly. If it were the modem or router, all devices would be affected.

There is only one way I can think of to determine if it is your WiFi adapter. Purchase a USB network adapter, use it on your system and see if that resolves your issue.

Others might be able to tell you if there are other ways to determine if it is your WiFi adapter.

#14 usedtobefast

usedtobefast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:08 AM

The internet service provider said it has something to do with the area that they have been fixing the last few days. Anyway I bought a usb network adapter and it works perfectly. SO obviously my laptops adapter has become problematic. Anyway I have wifi now so I am a happy camper. 

I had previously updated the laptop adapter and rolled it back and updated it again. So i'm not sure where the problem is. Perhaps it is a hardware problem with the adapter. 

#15 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:45 AM

See if the Reliability Monitor can be of help - http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt-tutorials/10778-windows-reliability-monitor-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users