Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tenets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:18 PM

"Bleeping Computer® is a technical support site and a self-education tool for the novice user to learn basic concepts about Computer Technology. Our focus is to allow the novice computer user to be able to have a place that they can come and discuss computer/technology problems with their peers and at the same time have a rich resource in which to learn the "basics" about computers and technology..... This site is not geared towards any specific type of user.:

From post so & so (don't wish to point finger here).

Sometime I detect some intolerance and an expectation that one should know what is doing before asking.

In which case  should the Quote "tenets"be changed to read: 

"average" at least, instead of "novice".

Also to omit: 

"This site is not geared towards any specific type of user".

Let me say that I learned a lot in the short time I have belonged here. I will always browse this site and reading posts, even if frustration and my shortcoming, may prevent me to participate. 

I edited this post several time because I felt I might have singled out a member, my intention was only to highlight what I perceive (from a small section of the community) as a counterproductive attitude. 

Due to my bruised ego, I might as well lost a golden opportunity to shut my mouth.

There are so many good things and people in this community. 

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 23 August 2015 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

Sometime I detect some intolerance and an expectation that one should know what is doing before asking.

You are not alone in detecting this and intolerance is not something the moderators up with put. I have some idea of the thread which started this discussion on your part and, if I'm right, Animal made some relevant remarks which you may have seen - he beat me to it, I was going to make similar remarks.

This site is for users of all ability levels from novice to expert, even experts from time to time run into problems they cannot solve or have never seen before.

However there are many contributors on this site - also of widely varying levels of expertise - and they do not all always live up to the ideals of the forum. Understandable, we are all human and our personalities tend to come across in our posts, but I agree, there is no need for condescension or taking an insulting tone in replies to topics. For myself, if I am replying to someone who is reasonably obviously a novice I will keep instructions as simple and clear as I can while for someone who I know has a fair amount of knowledge I might use a more shorthand form of instruction. As an example, if I believe the answer may be found in 'Device manager' I would explain to a novice how to find and use device manager, for a more expert user I might merely say 'Check device manager'.

One thing I would like to bring to your attention. There are only 16 moderators and above - not counting Grinler - and we cannot be online all the time. In every post and topic there is a little button in the bottom right corner called 'Report'. If you feel that a post is taking a negative or offensive tone all you have to do is click this button and say what you think is wrong with the topic/post. Only moderators and above see that you have done this and it triggers a warning on our forum screen. We all normally give reports high priority and take action where necessary.

I hope your ego makes a speedy recovery !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:42 AM

Chris

Tanks for taking the time to answer. My ego need a good  833p_bashtroll4.giffrom time to time, serve it right. 

Thanks for bringing to my attention the speedier, easier and correct procedure for touching on similar topics on the forum.

Being a true inexpert dunno.gif on IT matters I always hesitated joining any forums. It is this website tenets that made me feel confident enough to take the plunge. Very entertaining surfing.gifand  albert.gif instructive  indeed.

There are so many positive things in this community that are worth to focus on. Little bit of intolerance going around, but as you so well putted we are only human, I should have known better before joining in into the argue.gif,  feeling like to punish.gifsomebody just because  they got overboard a bit.

But someone has to rein in those who goes too far , yes.

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 24 August 2015 - 03:33 AM.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:26 AM

>>>You are not alone in detecting this and intolerance is not something the moderators up with put.<<<

Meh. I've seen this intolerance/behaviour initiated by Moderator(s) literally hundreds of times.

>>>I have some idea of the thread which started this discussion on your part and, if I'm right, Animal made some relevant remarks which you may have seen - he beat me to it, I was going to make similar remarks.<<<

No, not that one, but I've seen that one too.

>>>However there are many contributors on this site - also of widely varying levels of expertise - and they do not all always live up to the ideals of the forum.<<<

The same can be said of staff.

>>>Understandable, we are all human and our personalities tend to come across in our posts, but I agree, there is no need for condescension or taking an insulting tone in replies to topics.<<<

Words to live by.

Seems to be do as I say, not as I do for some 'round here. To be fair, I've found the overwhelming majority of staff to be top-notch. Unfortunately like everything else in life the actions of a few "bad" seeds can leave a negative first impression and discourage a person from joining the site -  learning, participating and becoming a contributor.

And that's a shame.

Edited by Union_Thug, 25 August 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#5 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

Beloved Vecchio, I had the same sense when first posting here.  (Joined long before posting.)  But it turns out that the bullies are in the minority.  So, I put them on ignore (click on the triangle at right of your name, then look below far right, 'Manage Ignore Prefs').  That way, if they bully me, I won't see it.  Not worth losing the excellent posts by most, just to avoid those of a few.  Oh: and if you ever see me do that, call me out or PM me, so I'll know?  It is never my intention.  Thank you!

Edited by brainout, 25 August 2015 - 01:54 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#6 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

Beloved Vecchio, I had the same sense when first posting here.  (Joined long before posting.)  But it turns out that the bullies are in the minority.  So, I put them on ignore (click on the triangle at right of your name, then look below far right, 'Manage Ignore Prefs').  That way, if they bully me, I won't see it.  Not worth losing the excellent posts by most, just to avoid those of a few.  Oh: and if you ever see me do that, call me out or PM me, so I'll know?  It is never my intention.  Thank you!

Sorry clicked post too soon...

I totally agree with the position you are taking. I would have withdraw the post on those same grounds, unfortunately once gone there it was and no amount of editing, and I did a bit as my intention was to blame the sin not the sinner, so to speak, could change that.

Thanks for the beloved, much appreciate your support, Chris & U_T too.

flowers2.gif

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 25 August 2015 - 02:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users