Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Recovery Disks ..

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

Hi. I got Win 7 Home Premium on a Medion Akoya i3 laptop.

I want to do a set of recovery disks that will enable me to boot the computer back to it's original factory condition. I am NOT interested in recovering my personal / bussiness files, photos, movies, music, etc, as I copy these to another computer daily (given that I'm playing around with this one). 

I worked out that the way to do this is control panel, back up and restore .. then there's the option of 'create a system image'. I hit that, and then the first thing the computer did, was tell me .. 

'you haven't created a back up yet'

... and begun to do one. I hit 'cancel'.

See, I don't want to create a back up - I have about 100 GB of photos and movies on the HDD, which I do NOT want to back up, nor include them in the (to be created) system image on the DVD's.

I JUST want to create disks that will restore the laptop to it's original factory settings.

How do I do this please ?

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:25 PM

The only way you can do a factory reset is if you have a factory recovery partition. Do you see such a partition in Disk Management? The System Image function of Windows 7 will only create a system image of the current state of the drive. If you wanted to do a factory reset then the system image should have been created just after purchase.

I tried to find something on that model as far a a factory reset goes but found nothing. You may want to contact Medions support site. Did they include a install disk with your purchase? If you have a factory recovery partition there may be a menu listing for creating a set of recovery disks.

#3 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

Hi, yes, I have - see image (hopefully)

Attached Files

• Attached File  dm.JPG   64.8KB   0 downloads

Edited by jargos, 22 August 2015 - 10:16 PM.

#4 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:23 PM

.. continued;

Have 'Recover (D)' partition. Explored it, and from the various files therein, it sure looks like what is used to reboot computer to factory settings.

No disks were included or are presently available. I can't see any menu to get it going either, other than at start up, it says press F11 for recovery .. but I don't think that's what you mean.

#5 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

Does your Laptop's original install software include a Media Recovery creation tool?  If you can obtain a manual for your Laptop's model #, it may provide information about accessing Medion Akoya specific media creation tools.

Here's my screencaps for my Toshiba Laptop where I can access my Factory Restore Media recovery creation tool.

Toshiba has a "My Toshiba" folder containing recovery tools.  When I click on the "Recovery Media Creator" tool, the DVD creator tool dialog screen appears:

ea62l0.jpg

k99tg5.jpg

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

Tapping F11 at boot should give you the option to do a factory reset. This is the same key used on most HP's to factory reset. But, it is always a good idea to make a set of recovery disks first if possible.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#7 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:28 AM

Does your Laptop's original install software include a Media Recovery creation tool?  If you can obtain a manual for your Laptop's model #, it may provide information about accessing Medion Akoya specific media creation tools.

Here's my screencaps for my Toshiba Laptop where I can access my Factory Restore Media recovery creation tool.

Toshiba has a "My Toshiba" folder containing recovery tools.  When I click on the "Recovery Media Creator" tool, the DVD creator tool dialog screen appears:

ea62l0.jpg

k99tg5.jpg

No, it does not have this.

#8 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

Tapping F11 at boot should give you the option to do a factory reset. This is the same key used on most HP's to factory reset. But, it is always a good idea to make a set of recovery disks first if possible.

Yes, I know this, and have done such, when I got the laptop 2nd hand from one of my kids.

The thing is, I intend to install Linux on my HDD as the only OS on the laptop. And that, I think, will wipe everything on the HDD as the Linux installation program says it will. So I need to make some seperate recovery media, just in case the Linux install goes bad, or in case of any other unfortunate event.   I at least want to be able to get Win 7 back up rather than have a dead computer.

BTW, Dual boot is not an option - I have explored this extensively in a thread in the Linux forum and have been advised to ask here.

Edited by jargos, 23 August 2015 - 08:37 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the clarification. You can install linux and leave the recovery partition but I doubt the F11 key push would work. If you cannot find the menu settings to create a set of disks for factory reset, I would recommend you use a disk image program other than the one built into Windows 7. 

I use Macrium Reflect Free. Creating a disk image to an external drive, which I recommend over DVDs, would let you recover the disk to the date the image was created. Any personal data would still be present so this would not be a true factory reset. In the Macrium Free program there is a tool to create a bootable disk or USB flash drive so you can recover the disk image to a new drive or an unbootable drive. After making this WinPE disk make sure it boots and also that it detects all your drives. 

One advantage of Macrium is it lets you browse the disk image as a virtual drive so you can recover any file that is present in the image. 

Another good program that can do the same thing as Macrium Reflect is Aoemi Backupper Standard which will also let you create a bootable disk or USB flash drive and mount your disk image to a virtual drive.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

jargos, it would help if we knew exactly what model you have.   I forget where I got this info. from you over at linux, but go here and enter your numbers so we can see if there is something we can do here.

http://www.medion.com/gb/service/start/_product.php?msn=30011878&gid=

Seems to me if you have that Recovery Partition then you should have the option to make Recovery Set, but maybe not.  I looked through the manual at that site but did not see the options we would hope for.  

Otherwise, you might want to make a partition for all your personal stuff, then make the image with Macrium, that way it will be much smaller.  I forget the whole story with you so forgive me.  I thought you just did a factory re-install with the Recovery Partition, if so, then that would have been a good time to make this image.  Or maybe you chose to Save your Personal Files.

With Marcrium you can just image the important partitions, so if your personal files are on another it won't copy that one if you choose not to image that partition.

Did you say that there are no Recovery Media available for sale from Medion?

@jargos: "BTW, Dual boot is not an option - I have explored this extensively in a thread in the Linux forum and have been advised to ask here."

Just to be clear, this is an option, and that is why we are trying to get you a backup.  Because, we will have to remove/reformat one of your current partitions to achieve this.  Then when you have a backup - we can proceed in creating a Dual Boot system if that is what you still want. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for the clarification. You can install linux and leave the recovery partition but I doubt the F11 key push would work. If you cannot find the menu settings to create a set of disks for factory reset, I would recommend you use a disk image program other than the one built into Windows 7. 

I use Macrium Reflect Free. Creating a disk image to an external drive, which I recommend over DVDs, would let you recover the disk to the date the image was created. Any personal data would still be present so this would not be a true factory reset. In the Macrium Free program there is a tool to create a bootable disk or USB flash drive so you can recover the disk image to a new drive or an unbootable drive. After making this WinPE disk make sure it boots and also that it detects all your drives. 

One advantage of Macrium is it lets you browse the disk image as a virtual drive so you can recover any file that is present in the image. 

Another good program that can do the same thing as Macrium Reflect is Aoemi Backupper Standard which will also let you create a bootable disk or USB flash drive and mount your disk image to a virtual drive.

Hi and thank you. I will check out the Macrium tool. Also, please see my next post.

#12 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 647 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:04 PM

Hiya pcpunk. Firstly, thanks for the Medion link. Yes, the number of my laptop is P6624 but the MD number ias different - MD 98390. This is all moot, however, as their searches seem to be based around the MSN number .. and I have found mine on back of the lappie, and double, triple checked it .. MSN 30011539, yet absolutely nothing comes up in the Medion search area - anywhere.So it looks like Medion ain't going to be much help. I've always found them unhelpful in any case - big promises, little given. I'm the proud owner of one of their units simply because it was handed down to me by my daughter, who thinks that buying a newie every year or so is the way to go .. like smart phones .. you know ..

I just want to do a factory recovery set with, probably, what's in my Recover (D) partition, so that if either Linux dual boot or full install goes bad, I can at least put computer back to Win 7 factory state. That's all I want. No need at all to include personal stuff or programs I might have installed.

I will check out the Macrium tool linked here earlier.

Dual boot still an option ? It was getting too hard in the Linux forum, so I thought to hell with it - just go for full install - I'm very comfortable with Linux. But since I was able to put my HDD partitions back to their original state prior to mucking them up, it might still be an option.

But I was advised, and agree that recovery disks for Win 7 are most advisable, no matter which option, and that's where I'm at.

Edited by jargos, 24 August 2015 - 01:18 AM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

You have your options now.

If I were you...I would contact Medion and see if they sell Recovery Media, because that is what you want.  Sometimes you gotta dig a little to get what you want. 

Or as said, go with Macrium, but, you won't be able to restore to Factory - unless you do what was suggested.  Remove Personal info, Restore to Factory and Make a Macrium Image.  There are many ways to do this you see, you will have to choose the best for you.  The easiest would be to get a backup drive and use Macrium, and keep all your personal data with that backup, simple, done.  Because, you have all that info on C:Drive, there is no way around that right now.  This stuff takes planning, there is no way around that LOL.  

This is why a lot of folks create a separate partition for their personal stuff, and, imo put it at the end of the drive.  Or at least at the end of the Windows Drives, and leave a little space for Linux after that.  Then with Macrium you can just Image the Factory stuff after a Restore.  If you are computer savvy there are many ways to get windows back to factory without the Factory Disks but I am not.  Best just to get some kind of backup if you want to proceed.  If money is an issue that makes it harder.

Can't remember if you have all that info backed up, do you?

Edited by pcpunk, 24 August 2015 - 05:27 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:17 PM

In the Backup and Restore page click on Create a System Repair disc and follow the prompts

Even though you might not need it, I always find out the 25-character product key before starting something like this

Go to www.belarc.com and download it

Scroll down to the software licenses section and record that information

It's one of those things you might never need but if you ever do need it even if it's only once it's well worth the time having gotten it

Afterward insert the System Repair disc into optical drive tray and shut down 

Upon starting back up you should see an instruction to press any key to boot to CD, be ready to do so quickly

I don't recall the exact steps but you can use this to restore back to factory condition

Once that's done, take the time to do the necessary windows updates and uninstall any unnecessary programs.

Then create a backup system image either with Windows 7 built in utility or Macrium Reflect

Either way you'll have a pristine condition to restore to if the need arises

#15 RVAH-12

RVAH-12

• Banned
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

"Win 7 Recovery Disks ..." 

No thanks, I don't need to win one ... I already purchased one from Microsoft phone support for $16 USD.

RVAH-12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users