Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting 64 bitt to 32 bitt???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 john11139

john11139

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:21 PM

I bought a laptop and it has orginal Windows home premium 64 bitt.  I have some old programs that will not run on 64 bitt.  it has the COE# attached to the computer.  If I purchase a 32 bitt disc home premium without the COE (its just a reinstall disc) can I install the 32 bitt program and use the original COE?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:54 PM

Hi john11139 :)

What programs do you have that doesn't run on 64-bit version of Windows? 32-bit programs are able to run on it without any issues. Also, did you try to use compatibility mode for these (like run them in a Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode)?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,882 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:44 AM

I bought a laptop and it has orginal Windows home premium 64 bitt.  I have some old programs that will not run on 64 bitt.  it has the COE# attached to the computer.  If I purchase a 32 bitt disc home premium without the COE (its just a reinstall disc) can I install the 32 bitt program and use the original COE?

No, the license for 32-bit is not transferable to 64-bit normally (the one exception that I know of applies to those of us who purchased Win 7 family-packs way back when...those licenses apply to both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions provided in the family-pack).  In addition...no OEM license is transferable to another system or version of Windows.

Louis

#4 john11139

john11139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

I have 3 old programs that ran on DOS. These are programs that I have used for 25 years. One is a book keeping program. Very simple. (cannot contact software company) I have 25 years of info on them including payroll, real estate payment schedule, etc. Another program is called Professional Plan and Professional write. I have never found another program that will even open them up so you can read the files. Over the years when I got another computer (usually buy a older one) they had 32 bitt on them or if they had 64, I took it to some one who reloaded 32 bitt on it. I just got a nice laptop but it has 64 bitt on it. I know some day I will have to make a change, but at 74 years old maybe I can just hang on to 32 bitt. It would be very interesting if the IRS wanted a copy of my book keeping and trying to open them. If I knew a software gru, I would make a copy of just the program (not my files) on a disc and mail it to them and would gladly pay if they could rework it to work on 64 bitt. Or if any one would like to take a crack at it and send me directions (I am not computer savey) I can try and e-mail a copy.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

Did you try creating a Virtual Machine, install a 32-bit version of Windows (Windows XP, Vista, 7, etc.) on it and see if these programs work there? Also, did you try the compatibility mode or not?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 ship_kicker

ship_kicker

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

I have 3 old programs that ran on DOS. These are programs that I have used for 25 years. One is a book keeping program. Very simple. (cannot contact software company) I have 25 years of info on them including payroll, real estate payment schedule, etc. Another program is called Professional Plan and Professional write. I have never found another program that will even open them up so you can read the files. Over the years when I got another computer (usually buy a older one) they had 32 bitt on them or if they had 64, I took it to some one who reloaded 32 bitt on it. I just got a nice laptop but it has 64 bitt on it. I know some day I will have to make a change, but at 74 years old maybe I can just hang on to 32 bitt. It would be very interesting if the IRS wanted a copy of my book keeping and trying to open them. If I knew a software gru, I would make a copy of just the program (not my files) on a disc and mail it to them and would gladly pay if they could rework it to work on 64 bitt. Or if any one would like to take a crack at it and send me directions (I am not computer savey) I can try and e-mail a copy.

Have you tried a DOS emulator like DOSbox?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users