Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

runtime error 216 at 004086c6 in win7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

I tried to install and run ConveretxtoDVD5 and I got this message. Help if you can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

I would suggest you uninstall this program, reboot and do a re-install. Go to 'Start - programs' and see if it has an uninstaller, if it does this is the simplest way to uninstall a program. If it doesn't, click 'Start - Control panel - Programs and features', wait for the list of installed software to load then select this program and click 'Uninstall' at the top of the table of programs.

If all else fails, try the 'Revo Uninstaller', a free download from BC which you can get here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Chris, but I built many PC and have used Revo Uninstaller for more than 5 years.. I also used VSO's own uninstaller call CleanVSo. I still can't open the program.. I just get the same error. I've uninstalled it 5 times and cleaned the registry by hand, line by line and reinstalled the program. I installed it on my desktop that I had to rebuild  due to a failed hard drive. Anything else?

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

I've uninstalled it 5 times and cleaned the registry by hand, line by line and reinstalled the program. I installed it on my desktop that I had to rebuild  due to a failed hard drive. Anything else?

Just a quick question, what happens when ConveretxtoDVD5 is not reinstalled ?

Also where are you installing the program from, is this a download site like Softronic, or their site, as I find many links to installers.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#5 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:56 PM

I would just use Freemake Video Converter instead

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

If you just reinstalled Windows do you have all the updates done? Specifcally, do you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable showing in add/remove programs? If not you'll need to download it from Microsoft.

Visual C++ Redistributable Packages install runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries on a computer that does not have Visual C++ installed. The libraries are required to run applications that are developed by using the corresponding version of Visual C++.

I mention VS 2005 because that is what Windows Update pushed out to my Win 7 64 install and is the only VS showing.

Actually in looking at another Win 7 64 machine with an older install I see 2 instances each of VS `05, `10 and `12 (those being X86 and X64). I'm assuming some of those versions were included for compatibility with various programs I installed.

Edited by Leurgy, 22 August 2015 - 08:12 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:31 PM

Jaycan, nothing happens when ConvertXtoDVD5. After I stop double clicking the program everything else works. Whether it is installed or not. I have it installed on another PC and it works perfectly.

#8 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:40 PM

Leurgy, I did a reinstall of Win 7 x86 and all of the updates are done. Some new ones came in this AM. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable and 8 others up to Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable are listed in Revo Uninstaller.

#9 bcomp4jim

bcomp4jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

Sparlestar Why that converter and not the one I've used since version 4?

#10 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

The one you're using won't work and is giving you an error.

#11 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

A long post as there are many reasons for Runtime Error 216, and most relate to an infection in your computer. I have picked several responses and included Microsoft's ideas behind your problem.

Have you attempted all of the above ideas, and call me dumb if you like, but there may still be an infection in your O/S.

Runtime Error 216 Symptoms
The most obvious sign that your computer is experiencing a Runtime Error 216 will be a little pop up error message stating so. Other symptoms include a dramatic decrease in a user’s ability to surf the web. When left alone for too long, this Runtime Error can blossom and create more havoc such as sudden system freezes and/or crashes.
Runtime Error 216 Causes
The number one most common cause for this specific Runtime Error is the SubSeven Trojan Virus infecting a PC. However, this error can also be cause by another type of corruption with your PC, namely with the registry.
Getting Rid of Runtime Error 216
Because the most common cause for this Runtime Error is a virus, it only makes sense to use a good anti-virus program to catch and delete the virus. However, this particular virus is a strong one and may require an anti-virus software program that can scan your computer while offline. In any case, here is what to do:

• Close all open applications.
  • Open up your anti-virus software by accessing it in the tool tray.
  • Select to scan your entire PC, not just certain system files.
  • Allow the scan to fully run.
  • Once completed be sure to delete anything that is found.
  • Restart your computer to allow completion of the process.

When you start Windows, Internet Explorer, or a Windows-based program, you may receive the following error message:
Runtime Error 216 at  xxxxAddress
This issue can occur if your computer is infected with a SubSeven Trojan virus.
For a list of independent antivirus software vendors, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-7.aspx.
If you do not have a fully updated and active version of one of the listed programs, please install one.

As a last resort, and if all else fails, please see below and post to the Experts area of the forum to see if there is a trojan, or similar problem

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users