Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

True Crypt and Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 baabel

baabel

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

I don’t know if I should post this in “Windows 10” or in “General Security” or somewhere else; I’ll try “Windows 10”.

I have been peacefully using True Crypt for years, currently on one XP computer and one Windows 7 computer.

I am not encrypting the entire drive; I am using True Crypt containers to hold sensitive documents.

I am having more and more difficulties with the aging XP computer and the other day it wouldn’t boot normally.  I decided to buy a new computer, which is a Windows 10, a Dell Inspiron 3647.

When I tried to download TrueCrypt to the new computer I was brought up to speed on what it appears the rest of the world already knows, that there is no more downloading TrueCrypt.

I tend to save my Setup files and I found one for TrueCrypt 7.1a.

It installed on Windows 10 but unfortunately it is functioning in Read Only mode only.

I cannot add anything to an existing crypt container (I moved a crypt container from the dying XP computer in Safe Mode to an external drive and then to the Windows 10 computer).

I get a message that I might try changing permissions, which I did but had no success in altering the Read Only status. The message also suggested moving the crypt container to “Documents”.  That did not help either.   

So after the above long winded story I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with:

(1)       Is there a way to get TrueCrypt 7.1a to fully function on Windows 10?

(2)       Is there another encryption program that anyone would recommend if TrueCrypt 7.1a will not work on Windows 10?

I really like TrueCrypt and I hope there is a successful answer to question #1.

Thanking in advance for any help.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 August 2015 - 05:30 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'Encryption methods and programs'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

Have you tried this?

https://forum.truecrypt.ch/t/truecrypt-container-wont-open-after-upgrading-to-windows-10/744

PS.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/

Edited by NickAu, 22 August 2015 - 09:06 PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:18 PM

Thanks NickAu....

@ baabel...your problem gained a bit of coverage HERE   

please note.... The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014.

Edited by Condobloke, 22 August 2015 - 10:23 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:29 AM

So you can open the TrueCrypt container, but you can not modify the content?

Have you checked that you are the owner of the TrueCrypt container file?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

NickAu:  Regarding the TC Next forum you referred me to, I did try to change the permissions to True Crypt but it did not help.  I see that in TC Next the writer is talking about permissions for the Container itself.

Truth is, I barely understand Permissions and Ownership and would have to be talked through anything beyond the meager efforts I already made.

Thanks for the VeraCrypt reference.  I may end up going there.

Condobloke:  Thanks for the heads up regarding my being quoted in the "By downloading Windows 10 you are allowing Microsoft to spy on you" topic.  What I find interesting about that discussion is the feeling so many are voicing that they have never made the plunge but it may be getting closer and closer to the time they have to move to Linux.  I have been considering that move I guess as long as all the others who haven't done it yet.  I too am getting closer.  Of course, I am pretty much a novice and know next to nothing about Linux but perhaps save up a few bucks and buy a new machine with Linux preloaded.  I saw that Dell will sell you a machine running Ubuntu.  No dual-boot necessary.

Didier Stevens:   I don't really know how to make sure I own a file.  Despite my years with Windows I really am not what one would call knowledgeable.   

So here are what I see as my options:

1.   Forget using the Windows 10 computer as a primary computer and buy a new Windows 7 computer while I still can (after saving up a few more bucks).  Use True Crypt on W7 for a while.

2.   Download VeraCrypt and figure out how to use it.  Unencrypt the True Crypt containers, move them to VeraCrypt containers on the Windows 10 computer.

3.   Get talked through changing permissions on the Windows 10 computer, but who knows if that would even work.

And of course for future use, buy yet another computer when I can afford it and start learning Linux (I don't think I even want to dual-boot Linux on a Windows 10 computer.  Call me paranoid.  Besides, trying to learn Linux and Windows 10 simultaneously is probably beyond me).

Sorry again for being so long-winded.

What do you folks think?

All advice is most appreciated.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

Phone and laptop encryption guide: Protect your stuff and yourself

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/phone-and-laptop-encryption-guide-protect-your-stuff-and-yourself/

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:28 PM

1. Buy a 8gb thumb drive

2. Download Linux Mint from HERE  (just choose a server to download from)

3. Use the pendrivelinux program HERE    to actually 'burn' the download to your usb stick/thumb drive.

4.Thats it.  Anytime you feel like having a fiddle around with linux etc....just plug the usb stick/thumb drive in, and reboot.....it will do the rest for you.

Remember....you cannot break it.  Keep it simple, because it is.

If i have missed anything here, I am sure NickAu will fill in the gap

Edited by Condobloke, 23 August 2015 - 08:32 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

Thank you NickAu for the info on whole disk encryption.

Thank you Condobloke for the info on Linux.

Didier Stevens, how do I find out if I am the owner of the TrueCrypt container file on the Windows 10 computer and how do I become the owner if I am not?

For now, my plan is:

I.   Get a new Windows 7 computer and use True Crypt there for an intermediate time frame

2.  Start learning how to use VeraCrypt on the Windows 10 computer (I'll probably use Windows 7 as long as I can and learn Windows 10 and encryption that is workable with it only because I probably should know this).

3.  Set Linux aside - again - until I finish projects vital to my business, that is encryption. 

I am, as always, open to any advice.

Thank you.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

I am speculating that maybe changing from a local account to a Microsoft online account may have changed your access rights. If that is the case, try creating a local account with the same name and password as before.

#10 RuddyDuck

RuddyDuck

• Validating
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:45 AM

"I am having more and more difficulties with the aging XP computer and the other day it wouldn’t boot normally.  I decided to buy a new computer, which is a Windows 10, a Dell Inspiron 3647."

Before tossing your aging Win XP computer, you might try Steve Gibson's SpinRite program, for sale at GRC.com.  It's done wonders for me,and might well let you revive that agin hard drive.

I am impatiently awaiting Steve's upgrade to a version of SpinRite to run under Win 10.

Also look trhough Steve's archive of his "Security Now!" webcasts: there are discussions of TrueCrypt, of Window 7 vs. Windows 10, etc.

#11 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

technonymous: I didn't change any accounts.  Unsure what you mean.

RuddyDuck:  I will look through the website you refer to.  Do you have a link to it?

I actually do not plan on giving up on the old XP computer but I do want to be up & running on a usable computer (and that means NOT W10) before I get to work on that.  Thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users