Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peripherals dont work

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 thibauld

thibauld

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hi all, 

A few days ago I was updating my drivers on my windows 7 PC (Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WWxRXL).

After updating the USB drivers, my wireless USB mouse and keyboard stopped working in windows altogether. They work fine in bios.

I used a USB to PS/2 adapter but neither mouse nor keyboard would work there either.

Anyone have any idea how I can get into my pc? 

Thanks in advance, 

Thibauld

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

Are they recognised in Device Manager? Is Plug And Play enabled in services.msc?

Do you have a wired keyboard to check that?

Edited by gigawert, 22 August 2015 - 03:42 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

I don't know, but therein lies the problem. I can't even login to windows because I have 0 control. Mouse and keyboard don't work.. so what's left?

Edit: I don't have a wired keyboard here, no. 

Edited by thibauld, 22 August 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

You said they are wireless, right? You could try to get a wired keyboard and mouse and test it. 

Did you look in the BIOS for any peripheral options or disable/enable USB ports?

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:37 PM

Yeah I checked and everything is as it should be in BIOS. I had just updated USB and smart connect drivers (ASrock), so I figured the problem must be there.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

I think Gigawert's suggestion of using a wired keyboard and mouse is about the only way for you to go at this stage as it would appear that your keyboard/mouse dongle is not being recognised for some reason or other. Borrow them ?  Even if you have to buy them the two together wouldn't set you back as much as £ 20.

Then do a system restore back to before you did these updates and see if they are working again after a re-boot.

This all begs the question why did you update these drivers ?  Drivers of this sort very seldom need updating and do not pose any sort of security risk unlike missing out on important OS patches.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:18 PM

@Chris This was a fairly new build, I only got the PC a few weeks ago, and I hadn't gotten around to installing some of the drivers from the manufacturer's download page yet. So it wasn't so much updating as installing non-essential drivers that i'd forgotten before.

Edited by thibauld, 22 August 2015 - 07:18 PM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

I obviously shouldn't post on BC during the month of August !  This is the second time this month I have - inadvertently - insulted someone over the age of their computer. The other was suggesting that shut downs on a 2 day old build might be due to heat caused by dust and dirt build up. Mind you, the OP hadn't said it was brand new !

I use a wireless keyboard and mouse myself, and I was pleasantly surprised when I plugged in the dongle and switched them on, they just worked. You are going to have to get past the BIOS somehow and get to 'Device manager' to find out what if anything is not working.

Have you tried starting in 'Safe mode' - normally tap 'F8' a few times while the BIOS screen is showing. Since you say the keyboard is working while in the BIOS screen this might work and the keyboard might work in safe mode. This would allow you to access the device manager and check for problems. Failing that, I think you you are going to have to lay your hands on a wired keyboard and mouse as Gigawert suggested.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 01:52 PM

Update time:

I went and bought a wired keyboard - totally online from my chair - and plugged it into every imaginable usb port in my tower, and even tried the PS/2 port with an adapter. But still nothing

There is only one thing I figured out that would work: the power button on the keyboard. It shut my pc down. So at least something goes through. 

I have tried in safe mode too, still doesn't work. 

FYI for everyone, my keyboard and mouse do work in BIOS, but once windows loads in and my password screen comes up they both stop working. 

I'm at a loss here. Could I maybe uninstall windows drivers if I load up ubuntu?

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

This is getting ridiculous and I fear it is time to start thinking drastic !

Do you have the Win 7 install disc for this computer ?  If you do  I think it is time for a 'REPAIR install'. A repair install will not normally affect your data or programs. If you have the install disc, start the computer, get into the BIOS and make sure that the CD/DVD drive is set first in the boot selection list. Then put the disc in the tray and re-boot. The computer should start running from the install disc and when you get to the screen which asks 'Install / Repair ?' choose 'REPAIR', then let it do its thing. When it is finished, remove the disc and re-boot and see if it is now working.

If you don't have the install disc, do you have a recovery partition or recovery discs ?  If you do, and use them, this will completely wipe your data and programs and you will in effect be doing a complete new install to ex-works condition. So what about any data you may have on this computer that you may want to keep and is not already backed up ?  I recommend Puppy Linux, not because I am a Puppy freak but because it fits on a CD, it runs entirely in RAM and I know it works because I have used it several times to recover data - that's why I keep a copy on my desk !  However you will need access to another computer to burn the CD on, it will also work from a memory stick. You can get it here, along with instructions on its use :-

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Puppy downloads as an ISO file and this needs to be opened before you burn it to a CD or memory stick. I normally use ImageBurn but I understand the writer built into Win 7 can also do this job. Once you have your CD or memory stick with Puppy expanded on to it and you have made sure the BIOS is set to boot from whichever you choose, put it in the computer and boot. You may find the Puppy desktop looks a little odd but there is a file manager and icons for each of your hard drives. You need to click on each drive and select 'Mount' to make the drive active. You can then copy any data you want to external storage and safety. Then remove the media and shut down the computer and go through the recovery routine.

Whichever route you go, you should finish up with a working OS again and your mouse and keyboard should work as well. It is obviously much easier if you have a Win 7 install disc but either way should get you running again.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

Disks won't do me much good I'm afraid.. I built my tower without a CD-drive. I do have a boot-able USB storage drive I used to install windows and drivers. I'll see if that works now. 

Just booted from usb drive.. looks like I need to put a repair disk iso on there first. 

Edited by thibauld, 24 August 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#12 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

Edit: At this point I should probably mention I don't run the garden variety version of windows 7, rather a 'pre-activated' one.

OK I managed to get into startup repair, which just raises more weird questions. I'll describe the second time I went through the process, cant remember what i did the first time, not much happened though.

After clicking repair, it starts searching for windows installations, and almost immediately gives its first message: "Widows found problems with your computer's startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart?" I choose repair and this time the PC almost immediately shut off and rebooted into HDD windows.. not what it did the first time. Mouse and keyboard still not working in windows Damn this is getting weird... Going back in.  

Back where I was before.. I click repair again and this time I get an error message saying "error saving startup options". I'm now at system recovery options where it asks me to select one of two options, use recovery tools or restore from system image. Selecting use recovery tools wants me to also select a operating system, however there are none listed. "If your operating system isn't listed, click Load Drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks", which I admittedly haven't done. Honestly didn't even think they had any. I do remember seeing a message of "no OS files found on disk" earlier.

Clicking next anyways skips the window to the familiar windows recovery panel with the 5 options: system repair, restore, image recovery, memory diagnostic and command prompt. 

Clicking startup repair gives another message "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically" Viewing details on the message gives more "no OS installed - like errors".

BTW I don't have a system recovery image. 

Edited by thibauld, 25 August 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:57 PM

At this point I should probably mention I don't run the garden variety version of windows 7, rather a 'pre-activated' one

I admit to being a bit puzzled by this one. How do you mean a 'pre-activated' one ?  If you built your tower then I would expect you to have used either an OEM or a retail installation disc in some form. If you mean you took the hard drive from another computer which had Win 7 on it already and used that then it is not surprising that you are having problems. It is extremely rare - normally only if the hardware is identical - that a hard drive from one computer will work in another.

Also, OEM versions are tied to the mother board they were first installed on. Retail versions can be moved from one computer to another so long as the previous use installation has been uninstalled.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 thibauld

thibauld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:15 PM

Not exactly, I'll explain. 

I built my tower with these parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WWxRXL . Note that there is no CD/DVD drive, I consider them a thing of the past and didn't think I would need it. Really the only time I ever use CD's or DVD's is when dealing with this stuff (installing windows/windows repair). 

After having it assembled at the place I ordered it, I made a bootable USB drive that would let me install windows, and loaded it up with "Windows 7 Pre-Activated R2", a special edition of windows that doesn't require a key and can install any version of windows 7 (I chose Ultimate).

The install went, as far as I can remember, fine.

Could the problem in windows repair be in the missing drivers for the hard drive(s)? In windows they both work fine. 

Thibauld

P.S. Appreciating the help btw, thanks very much.

#15 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:22 PM

Pretty sure they won't support pirate windows here if that's what that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users