Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Security Essentials Disabled and Other odd Behavior

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michaellh

Michaellh

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

Hello,

About 2 days ago my computer started acting strange. I believe it was after an update was installed but I do not recall. It has a BSOD episode and I was able to get it working after messing around with the command line with the restore dvd. Yesterday or the day before my computer completely became unresponsive and the windows explorer crashed. I could not open a run window, alt + ctrl + del also did nothing. I had to do a hard reset but it seemed to work after that. Just today when I started my computer microsoft security essentials was disabled and I know for a fact I did not do that. I scanned with MBAM and nothing came up. I am not scanning with MS Security essentials but I doubt it will show anything either. I am suspicious that I somehow have gotten something but I really have no idea how. I know my apartment complex was recently setting up the wifi and I had to call some tech support number and a guy added my computer to the network and I don't know if he could have done something or if maybe the fact that the wifi was unsecured when they first had it up could have done anything but I would really like to have this resolved. 

I wanted to make sure it was't the RAM that caused the crash as I was having crashes on arma 3 due to memory issues but memtest completed 4 times with not one fail so I don't think it is related to that.

The primary errors in the application logs is just this error "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

In the system logs there are several errors for Microsoft antimalware rel-time protection and it failing but I don't know what would have caused it.

Sometimes the internet would lose connection yesterday but I don't know if it was the wifi going out or my computer not picking it up.

Please let me know if more information is needed. 

Edit 1: I don't know if the link is working but it seems Microsoft Security Essentials keeps getting stopped and that is what the logs say as well.

Edit 2: Google Chrome will also become randomly unresponsive and I cannot open task manager using win key + r.

Edit 3: Microsoft Security Essentials finally finished a scan but just now crashed as soon as I got home. In the system event logs I have 1 warning and 4 errors.

In order this happened:

System Event Logs

Warning:Name resolution for the name vortex-win.data.microsoft.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Error:Microsoft Antimalware engine has been terminated due to an unexpected error.

Failure Type: Hang
  Exception code: 
  Resource: file:C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Vault\Mortal Online\mortalonline\mopatchSetup1of4F.exe
Error: Microsoft Antimalware engine has been terminated due to an unexpected error.
  Failure Type: Crash
  Exception code: 0xc0000005
  Resource: file:C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Vault\Mortal Online\mortalonline\mopatchSetup1of4F.exe
Error: Microsoft Antimalware engine has been terminated due to an unexpected error.
  Failure Type: Crash
Error: The Microsoft Antimalware Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 100 milliseconds: Run the configured recovery program.

Application Logs
Error: Faulting application name: MsMpEng.exe, version: 4.8.204.0, time stamp: 0x5541eadf
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7601.17744, time stamp: 0x4eeb033f
Fault offset: 0x00000000000011be
Faulting process id: 0x7c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0dd2e5ab075e3
Faulting application path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MsMpEng.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
Report Id: b69423bb-4957-11e5-8ee5-f46d0454f5cb

Edit 4: Google Chrome will also become unresponsive randomly

Edited by Michaellh, 23 August 2015 - 12:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Michaellh

Michaellh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:04 PM

This just happened while scanning with Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://tinypic.com/r/rko6qb/8

#3 Michaellh

Michaellh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

I uninstalled CCleaner and reinstalled MS Security Essentials and it doesn't seem like I have had any more issues is MSSE. I still have some intermittent internet connection loss but I changed some adapter settings to see if that might fix it.

Edited by Michaellh, 26 August 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:52 PM

Ok, thanks for the update.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Michaellh

Michaellh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:27 PM

Is there perhaps something i can do to confirm I don't have anything on my system?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:50 AM

Yes.. this will give us a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Michaellh

Michaellh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

I have completed the process and the link is below. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588426/weird-msse-issues-and-random-network-internet-loss-still-stays-connected/

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,214 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.
From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.
Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
The current wait time is 1 - 5 days and ALL logs are answered.
If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.
To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users