Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Windows 10 increase or decrease support questions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gqmaples

gqmaples

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

Good day!  I am an IT Systems Support Engineer and give support mostly to business clients, but also to some residential clients.  Due to the recent growth of Windows 10 upgrades, I'm curious if anyone has noticed an increase or decrease with questions about Windows 10.  I throw in decreasing, since I've been asked quite a bit about Win 10.

I am new to posting on this site, but I've used this site before, when I came across something that I hadn't seen before.  I really enjoy this site and when it helped me with an issue, I always put this site as a resource.  

Thanks for reading and I am eager to know anybody's thoughts about the topic title.

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2015 - 01:08 PM.
Moved from Introductions to Win 10 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

I haven't installed Win 10 yet...but I have seen the introduction of every Windows system since Win 95 and it occurs to me that what is currently reflected is the same amount (or even more) of puzzlement, rhetoric, and uncertainty...that comes with every version of Windows...until the first SP is issued.  Once that occurs, users seem to settle down and have become more familiar with what are imagined problematical situaitons, as opposed to real problems where they need/want assistance with specific types of system situations.

Louis

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

FWIW

Windows 10....been in existence for approx 11 months....664 topics...Therefore 60 per month......(increasing to 422 in the past month)

Windows 8                      "                             47 months...4242 topics....therefore 90 per month

Interestingly Win 7             "                         93 months    16929 topics ...therefore 182 per month

Obviously this is not an apples to apples comparison.....

So....If each OS is given the same amount of time that Win X has actually existed....ie since 29July ( 4 weeks)

Win 8....approx 50 in the first month.....26th October to 25 November, 2012

Win 10.....422 in the first month   29 july to now.

Just a 'different' way of looking at it.

(I am quite ok with anyone disputing my "count".....knock yourself out !)

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Condobloke, 22 August 2015 - 08:34 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 gqmaples

gqmaples
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:49 PM

FWIW

Windows 10....been in existence for approx 11 months....664 topics...Therefore 60 per month......(increasing to 422 in the past month)

Windows 8                      "                             47 months...4242 topics....therefore 90 per month

Interestingly Win 7             "                         93 months    16929 topics ...therefore 182 per month

Obviously this is not an apples to apples comparison.....

So....If each OS is given the same amount of time that Win X has actually existed....ie since 29July ( 4 weeks)

Win 8....approx 50 in the first month.....26th October to 25 November, 2012

Win 10.....422 in the first month   29 july to now.

Just a 'different' way of looking at it.

(I am quite ok with anyone disputing my "count".....knock yourself out !)

Edit: Spelling

That is quite amazing to have the knowledge of the OS stats.  Who would dispute it?  This post is to see how other people's opinion about support questions for Windows 10, compares to my opinion.  Thanks for that calculations!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

Are you asking for questions about Windows 10 IRL or online? Because these are two different things. You'll see a lot more users asking questions online about Windows 10 than IRL. This is true for pretty much every version of Windows that come out. Usually, users that asks questions online are genuiely interested in an answer and seek various opinions/replies, while those discussing it IRL pretty much have little to no interest, and only want answers to their questions because they need to use their computer for something specific. To be honest, I've had much more questions online than IRL right now, and I'm a tier 2 technical support, so being asking questions about Windows, computers, etc. all day and answering them is pretty much what I do.

Edited by Aura, 22 August 2015 - 08:58 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 gqmaples

gqmaples
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

Aura, I am interested in both online and IRL.  I became curious if questions about Win 10 started increasing recently to other IT support staff, as it has increased for me.  Increasing on support questions and decreasing on the general questions.  I know that most questions and support are online, as people find it easier for themselves to get support or ask questions online, than IRL.  I thought that questions and support, would be increasing within that past couple of months, due to the increase of the Windows 10 upgrade being completed.  I understand that the more upgrades equal more support, but I was interested in other peoples thoughts.  Thanks for you input, Aura!

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:21 PM

I guess that in your situation it depends. You said that you were an IT Systems Support Engineer for other companies, right? Which means that you get calls from users that probably don't work on the same system in the same environment. So some companies might want to switch to Windows 10 (hence they are more likely to ask questions) while others still runs Windows 7 and they plan on upgrading to 10 any time soon. Personally at my work, we run Windows 7 everywhere, with a few Windows 8.1 and one Windows 10 used by our Lead Architects and Analysts. We'll be upgrading to Windows 10 in two years I think but for now, since all of our users are under Windows 7, none of them really have any questions concerning Windows 10. Unless they ask it for their own personal computers and they don't call us to ask us that, they grab us in the hallway or when we assist them to make a conversation.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users