Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 hanging in games & running like a dog ;)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fredlundberg

fredlundberg

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   326.36KB   5 downloads

Attached File  perfmon.zip   45.81KB   2 downloads

Clean install of Windows 10 all drivers up to date but as soon as I go on second life or skyrim  I get a red/black screen & the event viewer grows ever bigger clear.png :(
I benchmarked tested the card which is new & scored fine.
mem test ram all good & hard drive fine...power supply tested,

400 + event viewer errors in 24 hours

anymore info wanted please ask I really would value some help

When not in game it runs sluggishly often not loading pages unless refreshed & occasionally timing out before a page can be loaded.

Please note I have posted this on a windows forum but had no replies apart from someone suggesting I post here :)

I am very grateful for any help

Attached Files

Edited by fredlundberg, 22 August 2015 - 11:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:22 AM

Looking at your last attachment (the Event Viewer), there's lot's of errors (150) due to nvlddmkm

These are your nVidia video drivers.

The first step here is to visit nVidia.com and download/install the latest, W10 compatible drivers for your system:  http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/89125

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F4) dates from 2008.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting. 

Numerous Live Kernel Events in the WER section of MSINFO32:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Numerous STOP 0x117, 0x141, and a 0x133 error in the WER section of MSINFO32.

Please follow these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

But no memory dumps in the uploaded reports.

And no memory dumps in the KernelDumpList report.

Are you using a disk cleaning utility such as CCleaner?  If so, please stop while we're troubleshooting.

Also, please check this:

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 fredlundberg

fredlundberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:19 AM

Many thanks for your helpful reply I am getting on with your to do list ...............I will add as Edits as I go :)

but when you said ...

"Looking at your last attachment (the Event Viewer), there's lot's of errors (150) due to nddmkm

These are your nVidia video drivers"

I had already clean installed a new card &  running the latest 355.60 drivers for windows 10...so I don't know why it should be that but there is no doubt it doesn't like games & ive had the Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered as a regular message when it crashes out of a game.

will post all the other things asap...thanks

n.b. this pc was running a NVidia 550ti & I started getting these messages after upgrading to windows 8.1 from 7.........as I was getting a new graphics card the local tech shop suggested a clean install of windows 10 & also loaded the 355.60 drive​

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   3.13MB   2 downloads

Edited by fredlundberg, 23 August 2015 - 03:33 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:46 AM

First, check the dates on those errors in the Event Viewer to make sure that they didn't stop when you put the new drivers & card in.

In short, if it's not the drivers for the video card (with an emphasis on drivers for W10), and you've also replaced the video card, then one has to wonder about the motherboard.  Anything from dirt in the PCIe socket, to a broken socket, to a problem with the rest of the motherboard.

Sorry, but I'm no good at reading CBS logs.

I'd still like to see the Admin event viewer log that I requested in my previous post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 fredlundberg

fredlundberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

This has been a clean install of windows 10 so any graphic card events have been since i put it in after the clean install using the up to date 355.60 windows 10 drivers.

I was having similar problems with a nvidia 550ti when i upgraded this machine to windows 8.1 from 7

I took the machine into a mates shop who suggested i upgrade to windows 10 as a clean install & he would put the new 760 card in.

He blew out the machine & thought it looked ok

I have since used my old graphics card in an older pc which is working fine still on vista.

I appreciate your comments ref the motherboard but have to say this was a great pc working fine until I upgraded from win 7 to 8.1 ..I feel its has to be a conflict somewhere but hoped a format & clean install of 10 would sort it :(

copy url for that file with great thanks

https://jumpshare.com/b/qP77Yx4udiM2Yqo6KgLA

#6 fredlundberg

fredlundberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

Whilst I cannot read GBS files I am seeing strings like this at the end when it says what it wasn't able to repair..

Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:48{24},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64"\[l:20{10}]"opencl.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted​​

Does anyone know what it means when it says the file in the store is also corrupt?

ive found the error code it relates to NVidia drivers so am going to google the rest to see what I can find :)...that said...what if the code above means the drivers are corrupt from the NVidia store??

Edited by fredlundberg, 24 August 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

What it says to me is that you need to get an expert involved in this.

I presume that if the store is corrupted, then there's no way to fix it with the system the way it is.
I recall that there is a process for downloading new components to source (obtain) un-corrupted versions to install on your system - but it's a complicated process (and, FYI, it's why I never pursued learning how to do this).

I'd post over in the OS forums mentioning SFC.EXE corruptions in the post title.
If a helper doesn't get to you soon, you could also post over at Sysnative.com in their forums - but again, there are few of them and they are very, very busy.

EDIT:  Doing a bit more research on the opencl.dll problem - the usual fix is to remove the nVidia drivers and then install a fresh copy which hasn't worked for you.  But I'm a bit confused as Windows File Protection (SFC.EXE) protects Windows files - and this appears to be an nVidia file.  I'd check on the nVidia forums to see if others are experiencing this problem.

It seems to me that you've taken all necessary steps to fix any video issues - so it's either fixed, or theirs an incompatibility (highly unlikely, but always a possibility when fussing with a new system)

So that would leave me to assume that there are problems with the motherboard.

Looking at this from a BSOD analyst's viewpoint, there's 3 things that can be happening:

- 3rd party driver problems (non-Windows drivers)

- hardware problems (to include incompatibilities)

- Windows driver problems

Unfortunately, it's not real easy to sort these out - so let me talk about it for a bit.....

The Windows problems are actually sort of easy to fix - simply install Windows and don't install anything else

Unfortunately, that leaves you open to infection, and it sometimes leaves you with devices that aren't working or aren't working properly.

This makes testing the installation difficult as the system isn't operating as optimally as you'd like

But it even gets more difficult if critical components/drivers aren't functioning properly.

NOTE:  Ensure that Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are enabled.

So, that leads us to 3rd party drivers.  Again unfortunately, the recent release of W10 didn't leave a bunch of time for developers to say "this is the final code, now I can develop a driver for it that will remain stable".  And, not surprisingly, the Windows Insider program has already released an updated build (10525) - so I wonder how the developers will keep up with this.

All that aside, you'll need to attempt to get the most recent, W10 compatible drivers for the system from the manufacturer of the device (FYI - I've checked some OEM drivers and have found that their W10 drivers are merely W8 drivers that have been modded to allow installation on W10).

But, as we are not developers or OEM's, we'll have to accept that we'll just have to be satisfied with whatever is available.

In this case, the first thing to do is to check Device Manager (we're proceeding on the assumption that you've done the Windows installation/testing that I described earlier).

Then update the drivers from the device manufacturer's website.  We're not looking for performance here, we're looking for stability.  So update ONLY the devices that have issues in Device Manager.  Then test to see if the system remains stable.

Now somewhere in here there may be a need to test hardware.  This is complicated by trying to test for compatibility.

The first step is to check compatibility listings to see if anything sticks out.  Then next is to scour the internet to see if there's anything significant there.  As this is a new OS, this is sort of like the old "needle in a haystack" problem - you'll sift through lot's of searches just to find few results.

At work we've got a routine going.  If we can't fix it quickly we first try to figure if the system has already been activated on Microsoft's servers.  If we think it has, we then install W10 clean, update Device Manager devices, and let it go at that.  If we're uncertain, we'll give it a try anyway.  If it hasn't been activated that way, then we'll clean install the OS required (W7SP1 or Win8.1), activate, and then update to W10.  FWIW - if you successfully activate while installing W10, you don't need to worry about it for the same system/OS in the future.  When installing W10, you just skip the screen where it asks for the product key two times - and you'll see that the system passes activation as long as you're connected to the internet.

Edited by usasma, 25 August 2015 - 05:57 AM.

#8 fredlundberg

fredlundberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

Really grateful for your time in this ...

best regards

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm glad to help out (and it pays forward for the kind technician who helped me out many years ago).

#10 fredlundberg

fredlundberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

This post was then extended here thanks to Usasma,s kind advice

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587997/sfcexe-corruptions/

just in case anyone is following :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic