Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird issue after restart.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MondoPot

MondoPot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hey guys, for some reason, when I try to open up Skype for example, it asks me to download a file. The file can be opened with FireFox. If I refuse to download the link, the program just doesn't work. This is what happens when I try to open Skype:

http://imgur.com/0rc6yDs

This is what happens when I open the file in FireFox:

http://imgur.com/cEwgj6D

It takes me to the login page, but nothing happens.

I tried googling, and some sources say it may have something to do with internet explorer. I tried opening IE, and it just takes me to the download manager apparently. (I believe google is the starting page.) IE itself refuses to work, no matter what I press. I've tried de-activating and re-activating IE, but that didn't help.

This is what happens when I try to open IE:

http://imgur.com/FI7xAIZ

Only the download manager opens.

I tried installing the newest version of CCleaner, but I received the same problem when it asked me whether I wanted to install Chrome or not.

Any ideas what could be the cause?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

It sounds like your skype data in %userprofile%\AppData is corrupt. Try this process and let us know if it works for you.

1. Quit Skype (right click the icon in the system tray, click quit, click yes)

2. Click the Start button

3. Type %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Skype\Apps\

4. Press Enter

5. Delete all the files in this folder

6. Open Skype

Edited by packetanalyzer, 22 August 2015 - 09:21 AM.

#3 MondoPot

MondoPot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

Hey! It allowed me to login in but started spamming things to download once again.

It seems it's not neccessarily a problem with Skype, but with something else as it happens when I open IE too. Also it happened when I tried updating CCleaner.

http://imgur.com/zqj1p79

It's almost as if something has stopped working / has been removed and now certain programs / commands can't work properly.

Thanks for the help.

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:12 AM

Great so it appears you are dealing with multiple possibly unrelated issues.

The first was a corrupted Skype data directory which now looks like you have working.

You know what try to go to control panel and run set default programs and access.

For now, click IE and click Set All Defaults.

Try to update CCleaner.

Also, are your homepages for Firefox or IE different than what you made them?

Edited by packetanalyzer, 22 August 2015 - 10:13 AM.

#5 MondoPot

MondoPot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

Great so it appears you are dealing with multiple possibly unrelated issues.

The first was a corrupted Skype data directory which now looks like you have working.

You know what try to go to control panel and run set default programs and access.

For now, click IE and click Set All Defaults.

Try to update CCleaner.

Also, are your homepages for Firefox or IE different than what you made them?

Tried it, the only difference it made was that the files now wanted to be opened by IE instead of FF. I tried opening them with IE, and IE still refuses to work properly, it still just opens the download manager instead of the actual browser. (The browser opens and closes and I and up with the download manager, asking if I wanna download the webpage I tried to open.)

Tried scanning with MalwareBytes and AVG, they didn't find anything.

My homepage FF is the standard one. I'm not sure about the IE, but considering it asks me to ''download'' the google.se page when I open it, I have to assume that is my homepage on IE. Not sure if it's the standard one or not though.

Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users