Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

if necessary, how to remove the linux?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 RAMIA

RAMIA

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

it's linux mint mate 17.2.

thanks.

I am for peace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:02 AM

The actual installation can be removed by booting a live-DVD and applying a new filesytem to the Linux Mint partitions. As for GRUB (the boot-manager, and boot-loader used on Linux Mint) it depends on where it was installed, if other operating systems are present on the machine, if there is data on the drive.

#3 RAMIA

RAMIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

I was remove the pratiton of the linux via software of mini tool pratition wizard free version9  and restart the computer but after this, No system worked until i reinsatll the linux via boot in the bios,

why it's not remove Properly?

I am for peace

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

I was remove the pratiton of the linux via software of mini tool pratition wizard free version9  and restart the computer but after this, No system worked until i reinsatll the linux via boot in the bios,

why it's not remove Properly?

Not sure what operating systems you have, or where you installed GRUB, but it sounds like you have GRUB on the MBR of a drive that has multiple operating systems installed further on the drive, which means if you delete the Linux Mint partitions (rather than doing as I suggested and just apply a new filesystem to them) you will alter the number of partitions on the drive, causing GRUB to look on the wrong partitions for your other operating systems. As discussed in my original posting, there are lots of things to take into account with GRUB.

Edited by hollowface, 23 August 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:32 AM

You will need a Windows install disk of some kind and the restore MBR command. Linux normally uses grub as its boot loader as so to dual boot with Windows as Windows normally doesn't detect any other system other than itself. Now if this is a UEFI install things will be much different depending on how old your machine is, on newer motherboards UEFI is the standard so you may need to completely reinstall windows to get back just booting windows on its own

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

You can use that partition CD and select the 'Rebuild MBR' option, a drop down list of OS's will be seen, be sure to select the right one that's installed on your computer, (may be more than one OS included in the group). You may have to do this twice, but normally works for me on the 1st attempt. 

If this fails, you'll need the OS install media or a bootable repair media for your OS. This is one reason, and I advised you before you began this, to create a backup image of your computer before installing Linux Mint. This saves a lot of issues, and you're up & running again in 15-30 minutes. The software for backup is free of cost, I use & highly recommend Macrium Reflect. Version 6 offers a new feature, to create a boot menu for backup/rescue with WinPE. 

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users