Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover files from a unallocated partition 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 monker

monker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:43 AM

Hello. I was recovering my OS (win 8) when a disk error occurred which did not allow me to access the partition which has the recovery files. Eventually I installed an OS but found a partition with needed files has become unallocated space. I would like to allocate the 300 gig partition and also recover the files if they are there. I do not want to merge it with the C: drive. I thought I was protecting my files by saving to a separate partition in the event the OS need be re installed. 

Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by monker, 22 August 2015 - 07:49 AM.

Monker45
Monker Productions

Dell 8200
XP Home Edition SP2
P4 2.53GHz
1.00GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6600

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:10 AM

It's possible the original partition table was wiped when you reinstalled. The best way to approach it is to recover the files first but you will need a recovery drive with at least the same amount of space as the data you plan to recover.

Download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip to a folder on the desktop and run it. Do a Quick Search. Is should pick up a number of partitions on the drive. Highlight each and press the "P" key until you find the files you are looking for. If not then do a Deeper Search. If you do find your files,  you can recover all of them by pressing "a" and then upper case "C" or highlight individual files/directories by pressing the ":" key and then upper case "C" to copy. 

Because the default location of recovery is the folder you started Testdisk from, it would be best to unzip the testdisk folder to a external drive with enough capacity to recover all  your data and start the program from that folder.

Here is a step by step guide using Testdisk. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users