Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Loop Before POST

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 collinmcmaster

collinmcmaster

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

I posted this on another thread and was given the advice to ask my question here instead:

Hello all~

I recently acquired a free desktop computer from a friend. He couldn't get it to work, gave to me, and he bought a new one.

Anyway, When first plugging in the PSU, and before i push the power button, the computer begins to boot up by itself. The lights, Hard drive, fans, etc will operate for approx 10 seconds (timed it with stopwatch) and then will completely reboot. Nothing appears on the screen at this time. No bios options, no motherboard splash screen. Nothing. This will repeat over and over if i let it (i couldn't handle more than 5 minutes for fear of further damage.

Here is the kicker, at ANY point during this boot loop, if I press the RESET button on the front, it will exit the boot loop, and boot up like there was absolutely nothing wrong. I let it say on for 4 hours, operated just fine.

Once i go to power down (throught the start menu, SHUT DOWN), it will power down just great. BUT, 3 seconds after being powered down, it will try to boot itself again and begin the boot loop cycle.

I have updated the BIOS to the most recent via a thumb drive and that was successful. The default settings are chosen and I verified that the setting for booting after power down is off in the bios.

I have tried with 2 sticks of ram, 1 stick, and 0 sticks. I have unhooked the CD/DVD drive from the PSU. Tried only running HD, MOBO, and PSU but still a boot loop scenario when plugging in. I even tried a spare PSU I had on hand with nothing different.

MOBO is an ASUS DQ45CB running Win7 Pro. 4gb ram, 500gb HD, and on board sound. 

I tried to let it run all night once i was able to get to windows, but I woke up in the morning to a computer again doing a boot loop.

I read many other forums but none seemed to have my special case. Either they couldnt get past boot loop, or it was the CMOS battery or something. My battery is new, and have ruled out, ram, psu, HD, and power button on the front.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 collinmcmaster

collinmcmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:05 AM

Any ideas? I'm guessing the mobo is garbage, but wanted a second opinion. Thanks

#3 collinmcmaster

collinmcmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:00 AM

Last try, anyone?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

I posted this on another thread and was given the advice to ask my question here instead:

Hello all~

I recently acquired a free desktop computer from a friend. He couldn't get it to work, gave to me, and he bought a new one.

Anyway, When first plugging in the PSU, and before i push the power button, the computer begins to boot up by itself. The lights, Hard drive, fans, etc will operate for approx 10 seconds (timed it with stopwatch) and then will completely reboot. Nothing appears on the screen at this time. No bios options, no motherboard splash screen. Nothing. This will repeat over and over if i let it (i couldn't handle more than 5 minutes for fear of further damage.

Here is the kicker, at ANY point during this boot loop, if I press the RESET button on the front, it will exit the boot loop, and boot up like there was absolutely nothing wrong. I let it say on for 4 hours, operated just fine.

It sounds an odd problem, and one I have not seen myself.  Just an idea but have you tried disconnecting the power switch wire from the motherboard?  There will be a group of wires going to some pins on the board (reset switch, power led, hdd led etc.) - it should be labelled POWER SW or similar on the plug.  The group is usually in bottom left corner of the motherboard, when viewing from the front.

Here's a fairly common pinout 

2011-01-10_105131_ausu.jpg

Without a power switch, you can start the PC by shorting the two power switch pins with a screwdriver.

If it still does the automatic power on behaviour with the switch disconnected, I'd have to conclude something was very wrong with the motherboard also.

EDIT I suppose as a possibility some foreign object like a screw could be wedged under the board, which could be shorting out something, causing weird behaviour.  Just a guess.  You'd need to remove the motherboard to check this.

Presumably the computer was working properly at one stage and just stopped working suddenly?

Edited by jonuk76, 26 August 2015 - 07:35 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 collinmcmaster

collinmcmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:36 PM

I pulled the power switch from the mobo and plugged it in. The PC took a little longer than before (maybe 10) seconds, and then again, powered up without needed to be shorted.

What a quirky thing. Yes, it worked great until it started doing this. 

Thanks for your help, but at this point I think it is safe to assume a Motherboard malfunction of some sort.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

You could try bread-boarding the motherboard. Pull it form the case and see if it does a boot loop. 

#7 collinmcmaster

collinmcmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

I just bread boarded the Mobo. 1 stick of ram, cpu, cpu fan, and 24 pin power connector. It fired right up, no power button pressed or anything. 

Time to go shopping! Just as clarification, it is a Micro ATX board. Can I just upgrade the board and cpu for now and worry about the rest later? i.e. gpu card, sound card, etc provided the PSU is strong enough?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

If you get a new motherboard just make sure the RAM and CPU on the makers compatibility list.  If all your are changing is the the motherboard than the PSU should be. You can use an online PSU calculator to determine if your wattage is fine. 

Have you tried a different PSU to see if it isn't the PSU that is causing the reboot? 

http://superuser.com/questions/649001/can-psu-cause-my-pc-to-reboot

#9 collinmcmaster

collinmcmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

Yes, i tried with two seperate PSUs. One that i know is good. 

I plan on upgrading the mobo AND the CPU.. Good call on making sure the Ram works. Might as well upgrade that at this point also as it is cheap.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

Sounds like a plan. Good luck on semi-new build.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users