Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trend Micro question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bytes

bytes

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

I've been told to get Trend Micro .....  internet security software is enough, don't need anti-virus.  I've got an iMac

So I've gone looking for it, but I have a basic question .......  are these 2 products the same thing  (one may be newer than the other?)

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/trend-micro-internet-security-2-users-12-months-card-tris2u12m

Trend Micro Internet Security 2 Users 12 Months Card - $37 for 2 users

"from viruses, cybercriminals and other online threats."

and

http://www.trendmicro.com.au/au/home/products/software/internet-security/index.html

Internet Security 10 - $39 for 1 user (or $29 if you download from the site)

"protection against viruses, cybercriminals, identity theft, ransomware and other online threats"

The top link gives you rights for 2 users ....  so I'm questioning whether it's the same software.

Is the top one different because it doesn't include  identity theft and ransomware that is included in the description of the 2nd one?  But the 1st one may have included these 2 in the general  "other online threats" .......  if the 2nd link is a newer product, they might have just changed the description ...

Am I right for thinking the difference is just that - including "identity theft, ransomware "  or is there something else I've missed?

Sorry to ask, but I'm not sure ....

Edited by bytes, 23 August 2015 - 05:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

Trend Micro Internet Security is a suite which includes anti-virus.

The bottom link is from Trend Micro's official site and indicates Internet Security v10. The bottom link is from a site I am not familar with and does not appear to indicate what version you are purchasing so it could be for older software. I generally recommend folks make purchases through the vendor's official site and deal directly with them.

This Trend Micro link allows for 3 machines with your purchase.

You do not have to use Trend Micro or a suite....there are better alternatives provided in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task while other suites leave a much smaller footprint. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Most Internet Security Suites include a Firewall, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is adequate protection and many folks also use a router. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend one of the following:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bytes

bytes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:10 AM

Thanks Quietman ..... I didn't mention, but I've got an iMac .... so this may change things?

I was led to believe that the Trend product was a suite - only internet security.  That's one of the reasons I was confused.

I probably only need Internet Security for an iMac - no suite, just the security.

Are there any that you can recommend that are just security  with minimal need for anti-virus?

Thanks VERY much  :thumbup2:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

All Internet Security products include antivirus and firewall protection plus various other features...that is why the package is called a suite.

Security suites

So called "security suites" were first offered for sale in 2003 (McAfee) and contain a suite of firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware and more. They may now offer theft protection, portable storage device safety check, private Internet browsing, cloud anti-spam, a file shredder or make security-related decisions (answering popup windows) and several were free of charge as of at least 2012.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users