Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping Sounds, Cpu?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

I installed a new motherboard Biostar P4M80-M4, the system turns on and has a beeping code of
one high pitch, the low pitch and then high pitch set of beeps that continue until I get into the system settings and they stop. I also get the one beep for the system boot-up. According to the manual it should be the cpu overheating and shutting down.
The temp of the cpu is around 34 degrees C, which is good. The cpu came preinstalled on the board with a sticker over the socket type, stating if removed it will be void. So, I did not want to check the cpu and be sure things looked ok there or the warranty will be void.

My question is can a CPU be damaged and fully boot the system, allow you to change system settings and takes the system all the way to installing the OS to the hard drive? The beeping is continuous unless I am in the system settings, once I save them and it reboots,it begins again.

The cpu fan is working properly and the power supply is too.

Thank you for any information you can give !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

Can you tell us what BIOS maker and version the mobo has on it?

EDIT: Hang on, I found that info. I will post with some sort of answer in just a couple of minutes.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 14 July 2006 - 12:27 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:19 PM

The version is 7.0 and the bios is Award Bios. Thank you ! :thumbsup:

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

Well, from your description of the beeps I do not know what is causing them.

Award BIOS beep codes can be found HERE. None fit the description exactly.

I did find this download page for your mobo: http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=P4M80-M4 and found it interesting that there is a BIOS update listed there. Perhaps flashing the BIOS with this update will cure your ills? Unless of course the cause is something else, and that is possible. Do some testing first, such as: Do you have more than one stick of RAM installed? If so, remove one and reboot. If problem persists, swap sticks and try again. Put the one stick into a different slot. Remove all hard drives and optical drives etc, stripping down the mobo and see if it will boot without beeps then.

If you don't already have one, a manual can be downloaded from HERE. More beep codes can be found on page 18.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 14 July 2006 - 12:35 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

Thank you for you help Albert. I have tried the memory, I only have one stick. I tried reseating it in the same socket and restart and then I used the other Dimm socket and no change. I am getting ready to try disconnecting the other drives and just having the minimum connected, I will let you know how that goes.

I was not aware that you could flash the bios from the CMOS with the system not working fully. I see the option in the CMOS, and I have downloaded the file, but I am not sure it will find the floppy with the file.
I had a Win98 disk in the drive to see if it would recognize it but it didn't do anything.

I will try though and post back what I find. I appreciate any help you can give :thumbsup:

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

Albert, thank you sooo much !!!! I disconnected the drives and no beeping. So, I connected the hard drive and it immediately began to beep again. Luckily, I had a spare hard drive and it's installing the OS now!!
I can't thank you enough !!!!! :trumpet:

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:37 AM

You are welcome!

Now that we know your system is working ok I do not recommend flashing the BIOS. It is too risky, and the risk is not worth the reward on a properly working computer.

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:25 PM

I agree, everything is working great. Thanks for everything !! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users