Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding IP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scavenger

scavenger

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:59 AM

Hi,

My Modem/Router has an ip of 192.168.0.1. I got some requests though from 192.168.x.1 (x=usually between 30-39 ex 192.168.39.1) and it comes from the router because the mac is the same.

Can anyone explain me why this is happening? Why does the router broadcasts from that subnet?

Also how is it possible that i can visit google.com but cannot ping it?

Edited by scavenger, 22 August 2015 - 06:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

Download MiniToolBox run it, check the Select All box at the top, and click GO at the bottom. Post back the results.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

Sorry but I sure would like to avoid the wealth of info minitoolbox provides.  Especially since the question pertains to what you are seeing in a log most like from a third party software.

Mind saying what software you are using?

"I got some requests though from 192.168.x.1 (x=usually between 30-39 ex 192.168.39.1)"

Those are from a different subnet then yours.

"how is it possible that i can visit google.com but cannot ping it?"

local firewall configuration or .... not so good news.  Tell us more.

#4 scavenger

scavenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:07 AM

Download MiniToolBox run it, check the Select All box at the top, and click GO at the bottom. Post back the results.

Hi,

I dont think that would help, based on what the software exports. I have used it before i posted and checked all the logs, theres not really anything helpful in there (i mean on my case).

Hi,

Sorry but I sure would like to avoid the wealth of info minitoolbox provides.  Especially since the question pertains to what you are seeing in a log most like from a third party software.

Mind saying what software you are using?

"I got some requests though from 192.168.x.1 (x=usually between 30-39 ex 192.168.39.1)"

Those are from a different subnet then yours.

"how is it possible that i can visit google.com but cannot ping it?"

local firewall configuration or .... not so good news.  Tell us more.

I am using xARP, its used for arp spoof detection.  It alerted me about getting request from a different subnet.

Regarding the ping issue, i have tried from other pcs here and its the same. Most probably the Modem/Router is blocking them.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:07 AM

Ok. Good luck then =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

Those x.x.39.x are private ip addresses not internet based.  This can happen is your ISP is extending their network to you.  If you go to ipchicken.com and note your ip address is it the same you see if you logon to your router and look at the wan ip address?

#7 scavenger

scavenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

Those x.x.39.x are private ip addresses not internet based.  This can happen is your ISP is extending their network to you.  If you go to ipchicken.com and note your ip address is it the same you see if you logon to your router and look at the wan ip address?

Yes its the same

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

Can you post a snipit of the log you are seeing? 

Do a tracert yahoo.com and post that for review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users