Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan failed....Maybe I've fixed it, maybe I haven't, help...please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 theboyupthestreet

theboyupthestreet

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:09 AM

Hello Bleeping Computer, first post here!! Not a total newbie but not a PC guru by any means. Need a bit of help from you guys!

Last night I arrived home, powered on my PC to the msg "PC fan failed, pc will power down in a few seconds to prevent further damage. please have pc serviced immediately to prevent further damage". Pressed the power button a few more times and still got the same message. Now I'm not a PC guru or certified technician by any means but I try to take care of my computer to the best of my ability. I've had it since about 06', still running fine for my daily use. When I saw the msg, the first thing that popped in my head was dust, so I popped it open and there was about a handful of dust all in between the blades of the fan. I immediately pressed the button a few more times while actually looking at the fan, I could see where it was trying to spin but where the dust was also more than likely preventing it from doing so. So I grabbed a small dusting brush and a screwdriver and proceeded to get out some of the dust(I was extremely cautious with the brush and screwdriver, I don't think I damaged anything). I actually got out most of the dust. After removing majority of the dust, I got it to finally power up and it appears to be running the way it previously was. However, it will only power on if I have it flat on it's side. Right after removing the dust, I tried powering it up while standing straight up and I got the message again. After lying it back flat on it's side, it powered right up and I have it stable enough to the point where I'm typing this right now lol. I don't really know much of the technical stuff about fixing computers once again, I'm just trying to get my baby back running right. I've been saving for a new computer but I won't be able to buy it for the next 3-4 months so I'm relying on my current PC for now. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Platypus, 22 August 2015 - 04:11 AM.
Moved to more suitable forum, deleted duplicate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:08 AM

G'day 'theboyupthestreet' and Welcome to BC.

have a read through THIS 

basically, you need the side cover off and a can of air.

Do not use a vacuum cleaner inside the case...only on the outside

maintain good contact between yourself and the metal chassis for most of the cleaning process and try not to move around too much then that will be adequate without an earth strap

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:26 AM

If the fan has failed (would not be at all surprising after 9 years) you should be able to replace just the fan on its own..  They are cheap, and available from any computer shop or Amazon etc.  Common sizes are 60mm, 80mm, 92mm, 120mm, measured across the mounting holes.  They're usually held in place by 4 screws at the corners, or fan clips.

If you have a picture, I or someone might be able to give more info about how to replace it.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:35 AM

If it doesn't run when standing up, but does run when laying down - check the fan in each position.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that the fan is working when it's laying down and it's not working when standing up.

Spinning the fan a bit with the canned air (be careful not to overspin it) can help to free it up.

Keep a close eye on it until you can replace the fan as jonuk76 suggests.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 theboyupthestreet

theboyupthestreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:27 AM

Man, really appreciate the help from all you guys!! I actually fell asleep with the thing on to see maybe if it would shut off and it's still running. I'm thinking maybe I'm gonna have it serviced and let someone check it out! I may or may not need to have that fan replaced. After I back up all my stuff, I'm gonna see if I can shut it down and try and restart it with it standing straight up. Once again, really appreciate the fast replies. thanks a lot!!! I'll check back in and let you guys know what happens!! 

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

Some might laugh at the  "only works on its side" fault but it isn't too uncommon.  System boards and plugin cards can and do become intermittent.  This has been a little quirky but not like the old mainframe days.  Sometimes the heat can get high enough to get make the system board "grow" a little and possibly finding a short and shut off a fan or even a whole system.  Fans, especially the CPU mounted one, need to be kept cool or suffer damage.

#7 theboyupthestreet

theboyupthestreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:48 PM

So just wanted to drop back in and let you guys know......The computer is running back normally. I've turned off my pc and turned it on about 3 times since i originally made the post. I did get to back up my stuff(thankfully) I still plan on getting it serviced until I can afford to get my new pc! Appreciate you guys help, proud to be a new member of such a helpful forum!! Thanks once again!!

Edited by theboyupthestreet, 23 August 2015 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users