Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any hope for this dropped laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 notcreeper

notcreeper

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

Over the years the smart people here have helped me many times with this HP. I'm very grateful for this generous gift of time and knowledge. I'm  back again  

This time  it fell 10 feet. There doesn't appear to have any outer damage, but when turned on a lovely blue and purple tie-dye effect covers most of the screen. In one corner, I can faintly see words flashing quickly. They alternate between " Please install"  and " Boot Device" .

I really want my pictures outta there. What do think? Is there a glimmer of hope for my problem?

Thank-you in advance for your time and attention. It is very much appreciated.

Jan,

from Port Perry Ontario

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

You need a new screen and hard drive --- total cost about $100 if you buy the parts and install them yourself ----- maybe $300 or more to have it fixed.

I Love Lamp!

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

I really want my pictures outta there. What do think? Is there a glimmer of hope for my problem?

You should be able to take the HDD out of the laptop and slave/connect it to another pc and recover the files,  Unless the HDD was also damaged.

Edited by NickAu, 21 August 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#4 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, see if you hear a clicking noise with you hard drive when your computer turns on. If you do, that's a dead drive.

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users