Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\$Windows. ~

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kaya90

Kaya90

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:15 PM

Hi i was looking through my c:\ drive and i found this hidden folder so i done a bit or research and found out it was to do with windows 10 but when i looked through the folders its full of windows files .dll files and .sys it has a whole system32 folder to it is this meant to be there cause its causing me a bit of a pain while virus scanning, i have been scanning for the past hour on avira and its still going through this folder so i think it gets stuck somehow maybe because there hidden files im not sure, i know how to remove the folder through disk cleanup but im still not sure about upgrading to windows 10 until its fully debugged so im unsure about removing these files if anyone has any advice on this it would be great.

Kind Regards

Kaya90

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

Hi Kaya90 :)

The $Windows.~BT folder contains your Windows 10 upgrade. You are free to delete it if you don't want to upgrade right now, and if it causes you issue. You can download again from the Windows Update, or being using the Media Creation Tool. It's completely safe and if you need help to download it again, I'll gladly assist you.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Kaya90

Kaya90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

ok thanks i did that and it got rid of the hidden folder when i used disk cleanup but it was on windows update clean for a long time so i had to cancel. This may be a different topic but i have had problems with high cpu when trying to check for updates coming from tiworker.exe it uses up about 60 cpu and maybe the reason it wouldnt clean update files either that or i should of waited longer but i did wait about half a hour.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Cleaning the Windows Update can take a really long time. I suggest you to leave it until it's done. And it's a good thing to clean the Windows Update folders from time to time.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Kaya90

Kaya90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

ok thanks i will rerun it and wait for it i dont think it affected anything cause everythings working fine still and virus scanning has become extremely quick so good that got sorted out. I do have another question which i have had a problem with for a while but i will post a new thread because its completely different.

Thanks for your time

Kaya

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,201 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:41 PM

No problem Kaya, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users