Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 updates related to Windows 10 upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hi to everyone on this forum.

With the advent of W10 several updates in W7 are related to it.

Some important, some recommended, some optional. Which ones to install, here the conundrum. I have a fair idea how to deal with the optional. The important one (critical?) and recommended do get me :scratchhead: .

Is there or would be anybody interested to make a list, and add to it as they come out, to help inexpert like myself making the right choice, which one is a must to install?

Having decided to stick to W7, I felt appropriate to address this forum for assistance on this matter, not W10 forum anymore as understandably they have different priorities.

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 21 August 2015 - 07:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

<Is there or would be anybody interested to make a list, and add to it as they come out, to help inexpert like myself making the right choice, which one is a must to install?>

To be more specific maybe I should have added, that I wish to avoid updates related to W10 that are not critical to operating W7.

VS

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:59 PM

See the list I compiled here. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587268/which-update-number-is-the-windows-10-upgrade-update/?p=3796615

I have only KB3075851 installed from that list and my system doesn't lack any features nor does it suffer any performance issues. YMMV.

#4 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:29 PM

See the list I compiled here. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587268/which-update-number-is-the-windows-10-upgrade-update/?p=3796615

I have only KB3075851 installed from that list and my system doesn't lack any features nor does it suffer any performance issues. YMMV.

Thanks mate.

I did follow your posts on W10 forum. Great stuff, I appreciated your balanced approach, particularly on some of the controversial issues there.

VS

:)

#5 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

Uninstalled KB2952664 several times. Coming back with each reboot. :scratchhead:  :ranting:

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 22 August 2015 - 03:45 AM.

#6 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

My W7 updates are set, not to download nor install updates without my consent.

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 22 August 2015 - 03:37 AM.

#7 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:00 PM

So I tried to uninstall KB2952664 again, now Windows is stuck at preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer. for the last 40 minute. What should i do? Just wait?

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 22 August 2015 - 03:44 AM.

#8 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

Managed to restart the computer.

KB2952664 shows as both installed update and hidden update on W 7 control panel.

Don't quite know what to do...

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 22 August 2015 - 03:44 AM.

#9 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

Try a different way (cmd).

No way, KB2952664 doesn't want to take no for an answer.

Not only I can't uninstall it, but now that I managed to remove it from the control panel hidden updates, it re present itself as an important update, when checking for latest updates.

And it is already installed :smash: . 

Resting my case here, before  :ranting: saying too much.

Boy I wish W 10 leave me alone. :spamsign: 

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 22 August 2015 - 03:43 AM.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

@Vecchio: I am truly sorry for the difficulties you're having and also for not replying sooner, unfortunately "life" intervenes. Let's see if we can sort this out.

Let's start by running the sfc /scannow command: (option 2 in the linked tutorial)

>>>The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed/modified, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.<<<

Then go to option 3 and run the command below which will enable us to see and read only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG; (the complete CBS.log is HUGE) and will produce an sfcdetails.txt on your desktop. Please either attach the log to your reply or copy/paste the results in your reply...

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

After completing the above & repairing any corrupt files, we're going to check for the Update "packages" that are installed on your system, we can accomplish this by running "Dism.exe" from an elevated Command Prompt. (see linked tutorial if not sure how to do so) Please await further instructions before running DISM - BAD things can happen if you don't know how to use it, DISM is a very powerful but equally useful tool. Read up on it if you like, here's a good guide.

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 August 2015 - 05:54 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

Unless something has changed...every update liste at Window Update...reflects a summary description of contents.  This is also available to anyone capable of using Google to ascertain the specific decription for a specific KB which has been issued.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

Unless something has change...every update liste at Window Update...reflects a summary description of contents.  This is also available to anyone capable of using Google to ascertain the specific decription for a specific KB which has been issued.

Louis

With all due respect to many average users ascertain(ing) the specific decription (sic) for a specific KB and comprehending said descriptions are not one and the same. AAMOF to the less experienced user these descriptions may as well be written in Swahili or hieroglyphics... hence the need for assistance at forums such as these.

Unless something has changed;

"Bleeping Computer® is a technical support site and a self-education tool for the novice user to learn basic concepts about Computer Technology. Our focus is to allow the novice computer user to be able to have a place that they can come and discuss computer/technology problems with their peers and at the same time have a rich resource in which to learn the "basics" about computers and technology..... This site is not geared towards any specific type of user.

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 August 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

I think that I give the "average computer user" credit for having the ability to read...and comprehend...any documentation for any critical update...whereas you seem to think that understanding such requires a level of understanding and comprehension...that is only possessed by a few.

I sincerely hope that you are merely flouting your ego, while belittling the intelligence level of all users to understand what it is that is written by Microsoft as basic documentation.

If your premise were true...I believe that we would have seen many more topics regarding the content of KBs...than can currently be found in either the forum annals or Google results for each and every KB ever issued.  So many, in fact, that the entire tenor of each Windows O/S forum (here and at other websites) would take on an entirely different persona, IMO.

Louis

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

>>>I sincerely hope that you are merely flouting your ego, while belittling the intelligence level of all users to understand what it is that is written by Microsoft as basic documentation.<<<

That's your interpretation, however I did no such thing.

>>>Is there or would be anybody interested to make a list, and add to it as they come out, to help inexpert like myself making the right choice, which one is a must to install?<<<

But lol, Louis feel free to imagine I'm merely "flouting my ego" if it assuages your own.  Let's say for argument's sake you are correct. What (if anything) does this have to do with the OP's problem(s)?

Uninstalled KB2952664 several times. Coming back with each reboot.

So I tried to uninstall KB2952664 again, now Windows is stuck at preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer. for the last 40 minute. What should i do? Just wait?

Managed to restart the computer.
KB2952664 shows as both installed update and hidden update on W 7 control panel.

Don't quite know what to do...

Try a different way (cmd).
No way, KB2952664 doesn't want to take no for an answer.

Not only I can't uninstall it, but now that I managed to remove it from the control panel hidden updates, it re present itself as an important update, when checking for latest updates.
And it is already installed

Boy I wish W 10 leave me alone.

Edited by Union_Thug, 22 August 2015 - 12:24 PM.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

Can you go back to a previous System Restore point?

--- Maybe you can get back to a time before the inability to uninstall KB2952664

It appears to me you are already doing this but for verification purposes:

Set Windows Update to: Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them

Check for KB3035583, KB3068708, KB2952664, KB2990214, KB3021917 & KB3050265

(As you mention, KB2952664 doesn't want to take no for an answer in addition to being reported as an important update etc. I have seen that issue also)

--- Uninstall any of them that are installed.

--- Some will require you to shut down upon uninstalling, some won’t

--- If some don’t uninstall at this time, do which ones you can

--- Myself I shut down and start back up for each one anyway.

--- Either way shut down: start back up when completed.

--- Go into Windows Update and watch for which ones return in both Important and Optional updates and hide them

--- It doesn’t take long for any of them to return at first; eventually maybe a couple of days in some cases

You might have to repeat the above procedures for a few days

I cannot say that all of the following procedures will work for you but check them out

Kill "Get Windows 10 (GWX)" Process Using Task Manager.

--- Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager option. It'll open Task Manager.

------ You can also directly launch Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys together.

--- Go to Processes or Details tab and select GWX process and then click on "End Process" button.

------ You can also right-click on GWX process and select "End Process" or "End Task" option.

------ Or you can simply select GWX process and press Delete key.

------ It'll kill GWX process and will also remove its icon from Taskbar notification area.

Delete "Get Windows 10" Task from Task Scheduler.

Run taskschd.msc. Go to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Setup.

Under Setup key, you'll see 2 more sub-keys: gwx & GWXTriggers.

Disable all tasks present under "gwx" key; launchtrayprocess & refreshgwxconfig

If you have a 32-bit system

There’s also a 32-bit registry hack that you can use to prevent the icon from showing up.

--- Browse down to the following key, creating it if it doesn’t exist:

--- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX

--- Once you are there, create a new 32-bit DWORD value on the right-hand side named DisableGWX, and give it a value of 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users