Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop loads to black screen (no cursor) - No restore points available

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 newschick

newschick

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

Hi all!

I have an old laptop that I use for browsing the web, etc. (no stored files or important docs, etc). I purchased it used from our IT department a few years ago, when we upgraded our student laptops so I don't have any disks for it.

It is an HP 6730b with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz running Vista Business SP2.

The first week after I got it, we had a windows update and the screen went black. I noticed some posters mentioned a cursor. I got nothing.  When restarting, you could hear the audio and see the Vista splash screen.Then it would just go to a black screen. I would do a system restore for the day prior to the updates, and it would load just fine.  Been doing it every time windows updated. Because of this, I knew there was no point in loading anything of any importance on the laptop.

Now, my surfing seems to have come to a halt. Whatever update came across this week, has done me in.  Same black screen. I boot to safe mode and go to system restore, but I have no restore points and it won't let me create one.

I played around with it last night, long enough to do something to make it set a restore point.  Just restored it and it did fix it. Of course the restore point was AFTER the update, so not why I thought it would have worked.

Hoping one of you brilliant folks here can tell me what I can do to fix this.

Edited by newschick, 21 August 2015 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

So, you have a computer that is giving you a black screen of death after you update it. In the future you can just turn the updates of and run a disk cleanup to delete any of the windows update files that have been downloaded.

For now, your current OS is toasted. You need to install an OS on top of what you have already. Might I suggest windows 7. If you do a parallel install (meaning you run the install disc on top of your current OS, NOTE: different than an upgrade) you'll be able to keep all of your old files and drivers, it will simply place them into a folder on your C drive called windows.old. You'll just have to reinstall your programs.

It takes about 45 mins start to finish and you'll be back up in no time.

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

#3 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:49 PM

Oh yeah, also before you do anything, make sure your hard drive is okay by checking the event viewer logs under computer management.

Computer > right click > manage > event viewer> administrative events > sort by source and look for anything that says "disk"

#4 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thanks! I'm game for Windows 7, but can this be done without a Windows disk?

So, if I turn the updates off, then will things still be compatible?

#5 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

You'll need a windows 7 disc or bootable image from somewhere. Your IT department will definitely have one. If not they're super easy to come by. As a general rule you don't want to turn windows updates off unless they're causing problems. And if they are causing problems, your computer needs to be looked at.

#6 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

Oh yeah, also before you do anything, make sure your hard drive is okay by checking the event viewer logs under computer management.

Computer > right click > manage > event viewer> administrative events > sort by source and look for anything that says "disk"

Actually, there are 2 disk errors. Both are from 6/11/2015.

They both say:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

I also have tons of other warnings. Yikes!

Multiple b57nd60x - Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet: The network link is down .... (I figure this is something from being on our old school network?)

Multiple, and I mean MULTIPLE:  Bonjour Service - Task scheduling error: continuously busy for more than a second (I think this is my daughter's sync for iPhone that we no longer use)

There are many more, do we need to look at the list?

Also, I doubt they will give me a bootable disk LOL, since they were bought as is. I am sure I have some type of recovery disk around here from other laptops, etc.  But I doubt any of them would help.

Edited by newschick, 21 August 2015 - 06:13 PM.

#7 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

No, you're fine. 2 disk errors isn't significant enough to warrant replacing, your hard drive.

The good news is installing windows 7 will wipe out the programs that are causing some of the other errors you're seeing. The disk ones are the ones to watch out for.

So, we need a windows 7 disc... If we could only google "windows 7 tpb" we might be able to find one available to download in the first result. But that would of course be unethical. However if you did happen to find one somewhere on the internets, you'd want the 64-bit version and then burn it to a DVD or image a jump drive with it.

Then I can walk you through a parallel install of windows to keep all of your files, and whatever drivers that may be compatible.

#8 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

I found one on the jump drive that might work.  

#9 newschick

newschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:09 AM

How do I proceed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users