Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New university and gaming laptop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Chris030

Chris030

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

Hello everybody, I'm thinking about maybe getting a new computer so here it goes

Laptop or Desktop?
Laptop

My budget for the new computer is:
900€ - 1000€ (approx. $1000 - $1100 USD)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
I don't own a desktop pc so my laptop is used for everything. University stuff (research, writing, presentations, ...), mail, browsing, programming (I'm getting into it), gaming, listening to music, watching videos, ...

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Office, games, iTunes, ... Or did I misunderstand the question?

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
Yes. I actually have: Fifa 14, Banished, Battlefield 4 (it was a gift), Magic Duels, LoL, Football Manager.

I thought about playing Cities: Skylines, the new Anno coming out and the Need for Speed and some others I forgot right now.

The more it can play, the better ^^

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
I might play a game and skype with my ingame friends or listen to music while playing a game or browsing. So maybe 2 or 3 at the same time.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
What is a lot? ^^

Music I would say yes and pictures only the best ones. For the rest, I have my external hard disk with 1 TB.

Will you be overclocking?
No.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
I live in Luxembourg and study in Vienna (Austria) so one of those. Or maybe getting it by ordering the suggested laptop in a computer shop here.

How many monitors are you planning to use?
Only the laptop one or my tv.

Do you need peripherals? OS?
I have all I need.

For the OS I would choose Windows 10. (Maybe dual booting with Linux)

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
My laptop (Acer Asire 5755G) still runs good with his 4 years and I can run games like Banished, Football Manager and League of Legends but it's not good with battlefield 4 and can't run the games I might want to play.

I will probably sell my laptop (if I find a buyer) and the new laptop should last as long as possible so the hardware should be as good as possible and last for a long time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

Nothing? :/

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:13 PM

Hey Chris. For the price range you are looking at you can probably get laptops with the Nvidia GTX 960M card. It will run game out today (the more intensive ones will need to be on lower settings). Its a pretty decent card. If you can up your budget to more like $1500, you could get something with the Nvidia GTX 970M which should last longer and will play anything out right now. check out xoticpc. They are US based but they sell a ton of different laptops, and you can easily compare ones to another, then you can find a shop or a site that sells that laptop from where you are.

As far as brands go... I had a Lenovo Ideapad Y580 for about 3 years. Solid laptop, still works. I just bought (still waiting for it to come in) a Sager NP8258 with the Nvidia GTX 970M, it looks to be promising.

There are Asus, Lenovo, maybe MSI, Acer.. and others that are in your price range. Just start looking up brands and looking for reviews on the ones you are interested in. You can usually find youtube video reviews on the gaming laptops. Also, if you are courious about the performance of the graphics chip check out notebookcheck, they have done benchmarks on most new GPUs, also CPUs.

Be careful on slimmer laptops, they tend to overheat easier. Especially on longer gaming sessions.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the answer!

I want to use my new laptop as my main gaming device until I finish university and stuff. Then, when I'm living in a (semi)permanent place or when I don't need to take the plane every now and then, I'll switch to a gaming desktop and will only use the laptop for work and rarely for gaming (on vacations for example).

The games I tend to play, mostly strategy games but with some other types, don't need to be on maximum settings, it just has to run smooth without problem and look nice.

I went to a computer shop in my area and talked with the owner. He suggested the Lenovo Y70 or Y50 but didn't suggest other brands, except MSI but they're too expensive for a student like me ^^. I did my research and both seem good.

So I should aim for a laptop with at least the Nvidia GTX 960M card? I'll continue looking for laptops and also reviews and post my thoughts and questions here.

Thank you for the benchmarks, I hope I understand them ^^

EDIT: wow, that's a lot of information! I've found some night reading material!

Edited by Chris030, 25 August 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

Lenovo is a solid laptop. Mine still works and is solid (graphics is just outdated).

The current Lenovo lineup maxes out with the GTX 860M. Its an okay card, but will get outdated very quickly (it can barely play most of the top tier games out right now). For your budget though, the 860M or the 960M will be about what you can get (which is okay, especially if you are playing older games anyway). There isn't a whole lot of difference between the 860 and the 960 so it probably won't matter which one you choose.

Lenovos are definitely in your price range so I would check them out. If you think it will work for you and fits your budget then its a good buy. There might be others in your price range as well, so do your research before making a final decision.

#6 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

Lenovo is a solid laptop. Mine still works and is solid (graphics is just outdated).

The current Lenovo lineup maxes out with the GTX 860M. Its an okay card, but will get outdated very quickly (it can barely play most of the top tier games out right now). For your budget though, the 860M or the 960M will be about what you can get (which is okay, especially if you are playing older games anyway). There isn't a whole lot of difference between the 860 and the 960 so it probably won't matter which one you choose.

Oh, so there are no Lenovos with a better one, like the GTX 970M?

Which laptops come to your mind with GTX970M? Are there any?

EDIT: I've found some, but the prices are much higher...

I mean, if the laptop is long lasting I might aswell take the best I can get.

Edited by Chris030, 26 August 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:22 PM

Yeah no lenovos have anything better than the 860M... unfortunately.

I just got a Sager laptop that has a 970M, ran me 1500 (and that was without Windows). If you can stretch your budget a bit higher then go for something with a 970. If not quite that high, go for something with a 960.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 26 August 2015 - 02:22 PM.

#8 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

Just now, as I was browsing through different internet sites, I found Lenovo does laptops with the gtx 960M :scratchhead: (here)

I just got a Sager laptop that has a 970M, ran me 1500 (and that was without Windows). If you can stretch your budget a bit higher then go for something with a 970. If not quite that high, go for something with a 960.

Tough choice... As a student, the price has a big impact...

Is your Sager laptop 15"? For me 17" is just to big to transport on my backpack.

Let's say I would put more money to get a gtx 970m, are there any laptops that come to your mind which could fit my needs (15", with an optical drive, ...)?

Other question: Usually when I use my laptop for a long time on my desk for example, I take the battery out and use the charger instead. Would that be possible with these laptops? Seems like the battery isn't easy to remove. If you understand what I mean.

Edited by Chris030, 26 August 2015 - 03:54 PM.

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

Just now, as I was browsing through different internet sites, I found Lenovo does laptops with the gtx 960M :scratchhead: (here)

Ah, I missed those! Now that I look at it I remember seeing them but forgot! My apologies.

Tough choice... As a student, the price has a big impact...

Is your Sager laptop 15"? For me 17" is just to big to transport on my backpack.

Let's say I would put more money to get a gtx 970m, are there any laptops that come to your mind which could fit my needs (15", with an optical drive, ...)?

Other question: Usually when I use my laptop for a long time on my desk for example, I take the battery out and use the charger instead. Would that be possible with these laptops? Seems like the battery isn't easy to remove. If you understand what I mean.

I completely understand the student and being pretty broke thing. Just graduated last year myself.

The Sager I got is a 15.6 inch screen. Its a monster though, comes in at like 7.2 pounds or something like that. So if you need to take it back and forth to school and such it may be a bit to heavy for you.

There are a lot of different choices, most come with optical drives, though there are some models that don't. I can't really think of a specific model for you that perfectly fits you need. You'll have to asses that since price and performance are going to vary and only you know how much you are willing to spend when it comes down to it. I can tell you that you should check out MSI, Asus, Sager, Lenovo (maybe Acer.... maybe... not all that sure how their "gaming laptops" are).... The site I mentioned before (xoticpc.com) makes it really easy to look through a wide variety of laptops and you can compare them. The price points may not much up the same since it is a US based company, but you should be able to find most of them in your country.

As far as taking the battery out... My lenovo I can do that and other brands let you take the battery out easily as well. I believe with the Sager I got it is actually under the bottom plastic piece so you can't remove it easily.

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

Lenovo is a solid laptop.

I beg to differ. I have never seen a Lenovo out last anything else, except for HP's. Every Lenovo I have encountered has some major hardware issue. I only purchase their business end stuff, not the yoga consumer grade stuff.

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:09 PM

I beg to differ. I have never seen a Lenovo out last anything else, except for HP's. Every Lenovo I have encountered has some major hardware issue. I only purchase their business end stuff, not the yoga consumer grade stuff.

Didn't say anything about their yoga grade stuff. Their business line and the Ideapad line are good laptops. Shoot their business line laptops will last forever, those things are tanks. My ideapad also is running strong, its 3-4 years old now.

#12 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:35 AM

Didn't say anything about their yoga grade stuff. Their business line and the Ideapad line are good laptops. Shoot their business line laptops will last forever, those things are tanks. My ideapad also is running strong, its 3-4 years old now.

Again, I have the opposite reaction. I and a friend of mine had T60p's and they both died within 4-6 years. Same friend got a W60 or something, and it had all sorts of USB problems, among others. My roommate has an R61i and it needs a new cpu fan every four years, otherwise it works pretty good. I personally am not impressed with Lenovo. I have seen better things with Dell, but have yet to buy my own new one to confirm.

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:38 PM

To each his own I suppose. My Lenvo got me through school and some good gaming sessions. Only reason I am now getting rid of it is to update the GPU, its in good woking order other than being a bit outdated.

#14 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:58 AM

I want to thank you guys with your help although, because of some private issues, I can't buy a new laptop yet, maybe for Christmas or during my university vacation.

Other than the graphics card that I should pay attention to, how about the Processor? Does it matter to watch out or are they always good if you pick a laptop with a good graphics card?

#15 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

Usually if the laptop has a decent GPU it will have a at least an okay CPU. But check out the model CPU model number on whatever laptop you are going to get and check out specs and the like. Any newer Intel CPU is going to be pretty decent, so I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot, but do your research before buying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users