Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall on SSD: Windows cannot be installed to this disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

Hello everyone!

I recently built my own pc from scratch and installed Windows 7 Professional on my 250GB SSD. After having quite some trouble configuring what to have on my SSD and what to install on my 1TB HDD, then getting the update loop (every time it shuts down it keeps installing the same set of 15 updates) and a bunch of random folders appearing on my HDD, I decided I most likely did something wrong and opted for a clean install.

However, once having wiped the HDD (my E drive) and inserting the windows cd and entering the setup, it won't let me.

Upon selecting my SSD (Disk 0 Partition 2), I get an error message saying I can't install windows to this disk because it has an MBR partition table and on EFI systems Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

The partitions present in the list are
Disk 0 Partition 1: System Reserved 100.0MB with 68.0MB free space (System)
Disk 0 Partition 2 232.8 GB with 122.5 GB free space (Primary)
Disk 1 Partition 1 128.0 MB with 128.0 MB of free space (MSR Reserved)
Disk 1 Partition 2: New Volume 931.4 GB with 931.4 GB of free space (Primary)

Now I'm most likely missing something obvious, this is my first build and first clean install of Windows, but if anyone could tell me how to proceed that would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

When you are at the screen to choose which drive to install os to there is a advanced option in the bottom right.  Select that and then choose the two partitions on the ssd and delete them.  It will automatically combine the two now free space, and from there select the sdd and choose to install to that!  Sorry if that explanation is kind of vague but I am not sure how to explain that better!  

Hope that helps!

pa9d6f-4.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:08 PM

Possibly Applicable

Louis

#4 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

Thank you both! I'm going to look into both options, although I'm not entirely sure about whether or not I can delete the partitions on the first drive as my system is installed on that?

I've also read that temporarily disabling the EFI Boot Sources could solve it?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1723461/windows-installed-disk-selected-disk-mbr-partition-table-efi-systems-windows.html

But I'm unsure if it's also applicable to SSD.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

The SSD...or the hard drive...is not the determining factor of any sort...for any Windows install.

Your "issue" relates to the fact that your motherboard employs UEFI, as opposed to motherboards with historical BIOS/MBR orientations.

http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/246420-whats-benefit-uefi-install-windows-uefi-mode.html

Louis

#6 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

Ahh thanks! I'll read up up on all the links and see if I can fix the problem soon :)

#7 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:55 PM

If you can boot to Windows you can access disk management and convert the partition to a GPT disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users