Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need a new laptop - graduating college

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cherrus

cherrus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

My daughter will be done with college in December. She had a Mac for the last 4 1/2 years, but says it is acting wierd and would like a new laptop.  She and her brother only wanted Macs, when I paid for them. Now that she needs to purchase her own computer, she feels it is too expensive. 

Hopefully she will be employed as an elementary teacher/special ed teacher when she is done with student teaching.

I am technically challenged and couldn't figure out how to fill out the template.

She is not a gamer. 

She does watch TV/movies on her laptop. 

She listens to music, both streaming and from her i-Tunes downloads. 

She will use her laptop for research, lesson plans, social media, photos

She likes the HP spectre 360.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Also, I know that Apple offers student pricing, does HP do something similar?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

Of course a Mac is too expensive now! :D

DO NOT GET THE HP!! They are cheap garbage. The first component to die in it will be the wifi card, I bet.

Instead, get a Dell. Their business laptops are very good, last I checked. I have experience with the Latitude line and they seem pretty good, no big problems I have found. Dell's are usually the best quality laptop you can get these days, other than Apple's stuff.

Apple has student pricing but it is not a big discount. You can get an even bigger discount by getting a refurb'd mac through Apple. But, it is still fairly expensive.

Edited by Gorbulan, 21 August 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#3 cherrus

cherrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

I have an old Dell XPS that I purchased refurbished - but it is a larger one.  The Dell XPS that is similer to the HP Sepctre and Mac air is at the same price point as the Mac pro - Actually I think it is a bit more money

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

You don't need to get anything high-end or very thin for what you described. If you already have an old laptop like the XPS and you don't want it, then that should be fine. Keep in mind that a large laptop is useless if you don't need a large laptop. Laptops are meant to be mobile, if it is too big a too heavy to lug around all the time, then it is useless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users