Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Windows 10 Upgrade Error/Nonsense

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MH957

MH957

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

Let me start off by saying I have no interest in upgrading to Windows 10 and every search I do refers to people trying to do the upgrade.

In numerous Windows 7 systems I'm looking at, there is a "Upgrade to Windows 10" Failure (Error code 80240020) in the update log daily.  On the Win 7 Pro machines once the disable gwx registry key and enabling group policy to block upgrading thru Windows Update, this error stops.  Win 7 Home Premium machines continue to display this error every day...  both with KB3035583 installed and not installed.

Additionally on all Win 7 Home systems (with and without GWX) and Pro systems that had GWX running past July 29th, the WIndows 10 Install files were automatically downloaded without a reservation ever being made.  I thought MS was not automatically pushing these files out without a request.  One system connected via a WiFi Hotspot (and exceeded the monthly data allotment) and still the files were downloaded.

Does anyone know what else has to be done to stop the "Upgrade to Windows 10" errors in the Win 7 Home log and permanently block the downloading of the Win 10 install files.

Most of these systems had KB3035583 uninstalled and hidden back in June.  MS pushed out an update to it in July that unhid it and reloaded it on the systems.

Thanks!

Edited by MH957, 21 August 2015 - 11:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MH957

MH957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

I created this registry key to stop GWX from running:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

That takes care of the notifications (Get Windows 10) but there still are the Upgrade Failure notices in the logs as well as the fact it downloaded the ~ 6GB installation directory without being asked.

#3 adenIG

adenIG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

Next step would be to disable the updates. Doing so means you will have to manually update the machines or set it up to approve updates as the arise.

Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update -> Change Setting (to your preference) and then uncheck the box that says recommended updates/Microsoft updates

hope this helps

"If you want a drink of water, you must first have an empty cup" -Confucius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users