Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 taskbar, changing icons of pinned programs?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 songsinh1241

songsinh1241

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

I wanted to ask whether anyone knew how to change the icons for programs pinned to the taskbar in windows 8.1. 

For example changing the icon for VLC from it's usual traffic cone to some symbol of the user's own choosing. 

Or changing the size of some of the icons, so things you want to use more often have larger icons and things you use less often have smaller icons. 

Or perhaps editing an icon for a program on their so that the icon becomes the usual icon for the program but with a dark or bright coloured line around it, or a load of small inward pointing arrows. 

Or switching one from colour to greyscale. 

Is this possible to do? How?
All I could find from google searches were things about how to add and remove icons, or change the look of the taskbar as a whole.
Thank You 

Songsinh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hi songsinh1241 :)

I'm pretty sure it's possible. The icons you pinned to your taskbar are located in the following folder:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
From there, right-click on any icon and select Properties. Click on the Change icon... buttom and select a new one, then apply the changes. Once done, the icon for the program in the taskbar should change.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users