Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WARNING HP PC 20 MONTHS OLD, NOT UPGRADABLE TO WINDOWS 10

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 RodA

RodA

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:22 AM

My HP PC is 20 months old and they have decided not to provide the drivers for the graphic card (which I find is over 5 years old) for Windows 10. I've been in touch with their customer service, after being passed around for hours on end, and been told "Your PC is 20 months old, we are selling new graphics cards that will work with Windows 10, we are not providing drivers for your existing graphics card because, that way we sell more.

What an attitude !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:53 AM

Whose customer service? There are 3 companies that make Graphics cards drivers for Windows PC's and they are AMD (ATI), Nvidia and Intel. They make the drivers for the device and send them to HP and HP can modify for their specific  hardware. MS can only  If Any of those 3 don't support the graphics card Microsoft can't change that.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#3 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

Check with the card's manufacturer. They might have a driver that works. Dell didn't have a Win 10 driver for my trackpad, but I found one. ~g~ Kinda trial and error, though. And it stinks that HP isn't supporting a less than two-year-old computer.

#4 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

That's certainly very poor support from HP! I certainly would expect any computer supplier to provide drivers for a computer that's less than 2 years old to support a new operating system. Certainly makes me glad that I don't have anyone I know have any HP computers.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

RodA, what is your computer/laptop model?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

Probably not a good way to look at it but I'ld say you are the lucky one.You have about a year to sort it out,take a look at all the posts on this site about Windows10,it's not pretty.

#7 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

I have a HP desktop computer which is about five years years old and it appears to have an Intel graphics driver. I downloaded Windows 10 and installed it.. All seemed to go well for about a day but then the screen went black and the computer was inaccessible. I presumed that the problem was to do with the graphics driver. So I restored Windows 7 from a backup and  had a look at the Intel site and found that it contained a useful program which enables one to check any Intel drivers which are installed. The result of a scan was that my computer had drivers which should not be updated with "generic" Intel drivers because they had been modified by the computer manufacturer. I then downloaded the HP Support Assistant which can check drivers, but following a scan, there was no provision to update the graphics driver.

At the moment, I see no reliable solution to the black screen problem so I have abandonned attempts to upgrade to Windows 10 until some solution is found. Prior to installing Windows 10, the "Get Windows 10" update indicated that everything on my PC was compatible, but clearly it wasn't. It could be a temporary problem - we'll have to wait and see.

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

My HP PC is 20 months old and they have decided not to provide the drivers for the graphic card (which I find is over 5 years old) for Windows 10. I've been in touch with their customer service, after being passed around for hours on end, and been told "Your PC is 20 months old, we are selling new graphics cards that will work with Windows 10, we are not providing drivers for your existing graphics card because, that way we sell more.

What an attitude !

Good ole HP & driver scenarios w/ them.  Put up w/ this for years, even felt sorry for clients I've had w/ HPs because of driver issues or issues of a Customer Service type.  There's reason I don't recommend HP to customers nor to other, as well, certainly.

Phil & Rod, can easily appreciate your frustration due to HP and can well understand it.  They are infamous for this sort of thing. Remember years ago was going to rebuild someone's machine & use it as a golden opportunity to get them on to what was @ the time a relatively new OS; couldn't because HP STILL had no drivers for it.  Stinks for it to put up such an obstacle to, in this case, moving to Windows 10.

Edited by Drew1903, 21 August 2015 - 05:31 PM.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

I have updated 3 HP computers to Windows 10 with no problems; 2 laptops and one desktop. Of course they were all older that 20 months old, so I do not know anything about an HP that new.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

I have a HP desktop computer which is about five years years old and it appears to have an Intel graphics driver. I downloaded Windows 10 and installed it.. All seemed to go well for about a day but then the screen went black and the computer was inaccessible. I presumed that the problem was to do with the graphics driver. 

Maybe not directly related but I have found from my own PC running Windows 10 that any drivers may be updated at any point, without user intervention, by Windows Update.  Perhaps it automatically "upgraded" your driver?  It updated my AMD graphics driver, which was a bit confusing because the version number changed to a newer version than that available if you download directly from AMD's site.  The only way I knew about it was another piece of the AMD software (Raptr) started nagging about downloading the "latest" driver version from AMD, which I thought I already had.

It doesn't take much imagination to think that one of these automatic driver updates is going to go wrong at some point, potentially leaving people confused about what is going on.  I never accepted the optional driver updates on earlier Windows versions, preferring to update manually.

Edited by jonuk76, 21 August 2015 - 07:23 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

To restore a driver to its previous version

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Double-click the category containing your device driver, and then double-click the name of the device that you want to restore to a previous driver version.

3. Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver.

If you are logged on as a standard user, the button will be dimmed, which means it's unavailable. You must be logged on as an administrator to roll back a driver.

Note
  • If there's no previous version of the driver installed for the selected device, the Roll Back Driver button will be unavailable even if you are logged on as an administrator.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

I purchased my HP laptop in August 2102, which makes it 3 years old. The OS was Windows 7 and came with an offer to upgrade to Windows 8 when it was released.
I did try Win 8 a few times, did not like it and always went back to 7.

I decided to try Windows 10 on it. I had no issues at all. The upgrade was seamless and everything still worked.

The reason I got an HP: It was on sale during the back to school sales tax holiday weekend AND I have a cousin who works for HP I can contact if I have problems with it.

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

Just because you bought the machine 20 months ago does not mean that it was state of the art when you purchased it.  Judging from the fact it has Intel video it is a lower end machine and probably has lower end or older technology inside.  Without knowing the model it is hard to know more than that.

HP is one of the better manufacturers out there, but they are not alone with a failure to support new operating systems (OS).  I've had to ditch plenty of Microsoft hardware in the past because they didn't update drivers for their new OS.

In your case you probably don't need a top of the line video card.  You should be able to pick up a Windows 10 compatible card for $50 that will run circles around the card that came in your machine.

#14 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

Probably not a good way to look at it but I'ld say you are the lucky one.You have about a year to sort it out,take a look at all the posts on this site about Windows10,it's not pretty.

Remember, there are countless others who will say the opposite... that it is, actually, very, very, nice.  ( that is not referring to app )  All the many positive comments that (also) exist in Forums should not be ignored or discounted.  There is, also, a great appreciation floating around for 10, lots of enthusiasm and more problem-free scenarios than people may think or realise.

Problems, criticisms, anti editorials are often written in Forums... people, just human nature, will often not stand up & say something is nice & they like it because they simply expect that, ergo, doesn't strike them as reason to shout about it.

Complaints often receive more notice than commendations.  Humanity often seems to thrive on 'bad news' but, we should , also, not miss or neglect the good.  And there is lots of good in the Win 10 Platform & lots of people saying good things about it.  And it's extremely meaningful; good to listen to it, as well; promotes not unfairly having a singular perception of things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any problematic issues originating from particular Windows Updates in the past need to be separated from what WU is, now. w/ the Win10 Platform.  Due to how different it is & in what ways, the chances of this sort of events or behavior are drastically reduced.  If terms of drivers specifically though not, exclusively... (1) Updates are tested w/ Insiders before going to End Users, if even used. (2) machines only receive what is apt for them.  Windows 10 is very smart & 99.9% will find whatever correct drivers your machine needs all by itself.  Whilst some are whinging about the WU process, now... it is, actually, for & to the betterment of the End User & will make for fewer problems than in the past.  Like w/ other things, there is good grounds & rational to what exists now & good benefits.  The past doesn't get left there & taints things.

It is said, "This ain't your daddy's OS", figuratively speaking and for some it's a lot to grasp & accept all the (good) meaning of that.  Don't assume it means something bad... it's quite the opposite!

Edited by Drew1903, 21 August 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

I purchased my HP laptop in August 2102, which makes it 3 years old. The OS was Windows 7 and came with an offer to upgrade to Windows 8 when it was released.
I did try Win 8 a few times, did not like it and always went back to 7.

I decided to try Windows 10 on it. I had no issues at all. The upgrade was seamless and everything still worked.

The reason I got an HP: It was on sale during the back to school sales tax holiday weekend AND I have a cousin who works for HP I can contact if I have problems with it. (#1)

The bold #1 ^ makes perfect sense, obviously understandable.  And don't get me wrong, certainly, many have fine experiences w/ HPs. 

As for the other part...

People, hear these reports, don't ignore them.  Let them be encouraging & speak volumes to you.  No issues, seamless, everything works... there is SO bloody much of that!!  Think of the logic... there cannot be this vast number saying & reporting the same thing, "went well & love it" if the damn thing was the inherent mess-up some try to convince others it is.  Just grab it & enjoy it... it is SO worth it!!  Time won't change much except, to make it cost money cus the free Upgrade offer will have expired.

I had one client had a new 8.1 machine briefly... that is until I moved it to Win10 for him.  Few minutes later when 10 was up and running and he used it for a while, he turned to me & said, "Wow, this a lot easier to use, looks nice & I, really, like it, thanks".  When told about Updates, the reaction was, "Oh, cool, that's awesome".  Glad not to have to give it a concern or his attention.

Have had exactly the same type of reaction to Win10 from every single customer or friend using it.

So, yeah, delaying & deciding... yet keep running into people who are anxious to have it. And sooner or later, anyway...  Worked on an older couple's machine shortly before July 29th.  They, already, knew of Win10 and were on the edge of their seats w/ anticipation wanting to have it.

Me, I was just keen to have the GA rather than betas & to have it on a SSD instead of mechanical drive.  That's turned out be exactly the case... it's better in a few areas than the beta & the performance SSD vs HDD is wonderful... not that the HDD was bad or anything, SSDs are just sweet.  Because someone has a perfect time does not deny that others don't, btw.  Just means that maybe they aren't able to replicate others scenarios.  Doesn't mean the issues don't exist.  And one tries to help, anyway.

What is healthy is to address issues, if & when they arise, rather than governed by fear & prejudice filling one w/ pessimism.  There's a lot more reason to smile than frown (if any) about having Windows 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users