Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

router hard reset question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 66belle66

66belle66

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

Hello!

My motherboard fried out about a month ago. Cant afford one for a while... But I have an xbox one and me and my sons unrooted android phones that are still using the router wifi.

I cant get into the router to change my password, and I cant find the stupid password anywhere. but everything works fine.

My friend gave me a Windows phone and I cant use it bevause I cant remember my routers password. Fail.

My question is... if I do a hard reset on my router will I be able to just use the factory defaults to get this new phone and eveything else back to work again? Or will it mess everything up and leave me with no access. Id like to mess with this new phone but it isnt worth losing evrrything for two months until i get a new comp going again.

I cant find any info anywhere on what happens if you reset without a computer. Its a Linksys E900 router.

My phone is an unrooted Android Virgin phone. So, it wont show me my router password. Cant see the password on xbox either. So, im just kind of stuck. I was hoping I could hard reset the router. Then use the windows Lumia phone to access my router instead of a computer to set my router back up and set a new password etc.

Thanks for any advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:15 AM

Never heard of a phone being used to setup a router.  Usually requires a wired connection first to then setup the wifi.

Setting to factory will do just that, wipe out all wired and wireless settings which includes passwords.

#3 66belle66

66belle66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

So, if I hard reset and have no computer will I be able to just connect everything again using the default passwords? Or does it make everything not usable? Im wondering if Ican just use the windows phone or xbox browser if need to access the router. If I reset and everything can reconnect and get stuck with default passwords no big deal really

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:27 PM

You need a computer to set up the router.  Perhaps you can borrow a laptop from a friend.  You can't setup a router with a xbox or phone.  Don't assume you have wifi with default factory.  A number don't until you set it up.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

You might be able to use the Xbox if you can connect it to the router via a cable, provided the Xbox has some kind of built in browser software.  I'd highly recommend having a laptop on standby.

Basically you need a wired connection to configure the router.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

What is the make and model of the router.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users