Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows updates - critical updates and / or recommended

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clade

Clade

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

Hi everyone!

Windows updates are available in different categories: important, recommended and optional.

As noted, some of them, for reasons not known by users, have broken the OS of different users.

In your opinion, what is the best option of choice?

Grateful to all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

Make a full system backup of your machine and then install all updates.

If an update makes your machine unbootable, you can restore your backup.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 21 August 2015 - 08:44 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:45 AM

Hi Clade :)

Personally, I would install every updates (Important, Recommended/Optional) and only leave out the driver updates. Important Updates are related to security, which means that they'll fix, patch, etc. a vulnerability or exploit in Windows or another Microsoft product and they are critical to the security of your system. Recommended/Optional updates are mostly features fix and enhancement for Windows and other Microsoft products. However, they start as updates that might not be needed for all users. If Microsoft sees that the users who installs the updates benefits a lot from it, they'll move that update in the Important category.

Driver updates aren't needed, since there's a chance that they'll fail or break the device using wrong/outdated/etc. drivers so I usually uncheck them and hide them. I always install drivers directly from the device manufacturer, and never from the Windows Update.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Clade

Clade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:10 AM

Make a full system backup of your machine and then install all updates.

If an update makes your machine unbootable, you can restore your backup.

HI Didier Stevens! Yes, backup is the key word and do it regularly. The issue is that most users do not have the knowledge to back up

Hi Clade :)

Personally, I would install every updates (Important, Recommended/Optional) and only leave out the driver updates. Important Updates are related to security, which means that they'll fix, patch, etc. a vulnerability or exploit in Windows or another Microsoft product and they are critical to the security of your system. Recommended/Optional updates are mostly features fix and enhancement for Windows and other Microsoft products. However, they start as updates that might not be needed for all users. If Microsoft sees that the users who installs the updates benefits a lot from it, they'll move that update in the Important category.

Driver updates aren't needed, since there's a chance that they'll fail or break the device using wrong/outdated/etc. drivers so I usually uncheck them and hide them. I always install drivers directly from the device manufacturer, and never from the Windows Update.

Hi Aura!

I follow your line of thought, but the optional updates, seek more information about them and fit the equipment in use.

Appreciate how quickly and explanations in your posts in this forum.

Thank you, both, for your attention!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

No problem Clade, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

HI Didier Stevens! Yes, backup is the key word and do it regularly. The issue is that most users do not have the knowledge to back up

That is why I often recommend backups on these forums. Is the best protection you can get.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users